Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Telephone book quilting?

Telephone book quilting?

I was surfing the net this morning and found a utube regarding Telephone Book quilting. The presenter was Eileen Thomas and she gave the introduction but with my computer was not able to connect to the demo. she talked about. I have never heard of this until now.
    Have any of you done this.......I think it must be paper piecing using the pages of the phone book.
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It probably is. My 90 yr old sister made several using Readers Digest. She had scraps and just layed them on one at a time and sewed them down. They make beautiful quilts.

Blog Entries
    Bonnie Hunter on Quiltville uses telephone book pages in her quilting.

http://quiltville.com/stringquiltingprimer.shtml about half way down she mentions using phone book pages
    Brenda

I would think any Thin paper will work! and one that WILL tear away Easy! all the better, and boy I think a old Phone book should work!!
    May Your Life Be Full of Charity and Love.

Bonnie Hunter uses this technique. Check out her website at quiltvilleblogspot.com

Chicca, you beat me to it!

Blog Entries
    Paper piecing and foundatation piecing are different. Phone book or any paper can be used for foundataion piecing. Paper piecing, the pattern is printed or drawn on the paper.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I've used telephone book pages to make several string quilts, tears off easily and I've never had any printing from the pages stay on the fabric

My friend, Jane Quinn, of Quilting In The Country in Bozeman, MT, did what is known as Chronicle Quilts. The quilts are done using pages of the Bozeman Chronicle newspaper, as women had done in Boszeman's early days. Jane is a great historian when it comes to quilts!
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!

Thanks for the information. I have only done one quilt square in a group effort with paper. So these terms are new to me. Why would you want to use paper if there wasn't a pattern involved. Maybe I am dense on this.

For me, It's a foundation when I sew strips together. It gives me an idea of how much space I need to cover and helps me not to put very small pieces in corners. If you have very small pieces in your conrers your seams may become very thick and difficult to sew through.

Really check out Bonnie Hunter's site, she'll explain in great detail. quiltville.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast