Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
is there a better way? >

is there a better way?

is there a better way?

Old 11-18-2017, 05:07 PM

Default is there a better way?

I was asked by a lady to finish a quilt that a family member had started before they died. I am more than happy to help, but I ran into some issues and I am now wondering if I could have handled this better.

the blue jeans were from grandpa, so I wanted to take extra care. But the quilt was not square. I did some squaring up, but I didn't want to cut too much away since this was grandpa's jeans and started by someone who was no longer with us. I wanted to respect what she had started

Ideally I would not have pieced the back and that would have eliminated the problem that I ended up with - but I did. The colors are good together, but the quilt not being square became more obvious by the color block.

the striped material is within 1-1/2" (overall length 88-1/2" to 89-1/2" from side to side)

I couldn't get the entire quilt in picture because I didn't have room - but the top is a little wonky as well. So the top being wonky added to the bottom looking worse

any suggestions on what would have worked better? what's done is done - but I like to learn when I can

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584039[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_6014.jpg  
Old 11-18-2017, 05:29 PM

What does the other side look like? Looks like there is an olive green in the stripe. Could you appliqué a solid green border over part of the brown and the stripe? It will make the brown discrepancy less noticeable.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:42 PM

the front of it is all blue jeans. And any off square is not as noticeable.

I did think of applique - I have plenty of brown left that I could applique to even it up. Make it look more all one border. I am just not sure I will like that end result either. I don't have much applique experience.... do you think applique could be completed nicely?
Old 11-18-2017, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

Years ago I made and gave away a quilt with a border on the back - to make it larger. I have since learned how to do it right. I was embarrassed about it but gave it anyway. The pieced quilt was spectacular so I didn't worry about the back.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:07 PM

I think you should be able to applique a piece on to even it off. Doesn't look like it should be too difficult.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Years ago I made and gave away a quilt with a border on the back - to make it larger. I have since learned how to do it right. I was embarrassed about it but gave it anyway. The pieced quilt was spectacular so I didn't worry about the back.
I am thinking about doing this Its a sentimental quilt with all that is involved - but I want to try to do it the best that I can.... unless I get too frustrated

I may check into the applique angle tomorrow. After a good nights rest maybe I will have the energy
Old 11-19-2017, 07:03 AM

Default Thank You! Its better now

I just wanted to say thank you to the ones who took time to respond to my question last night. You helped me process and gain the courage to try the correction

I did the applique (I think of it more as a patch ) its not perfect but it is definitely a million times better!! I wish I had this kind of encouragement in other aspects of my life I have to change a dryer heating element this afternoon.....nervous nellie here

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584045[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_6020.jpg  
Old 11-19-2017, 09:01 AM

This looks great, it certainly made a big difference.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:48 AM

Next time, put the piece in the middle of the back. You did well to choose the diagonal stripe, if the extra was in the middle the stripe would camouflage it at the ends.

To fix this I would copy the end piece, reverse it and applique it to the other end. Now it will be intentional
Old 11-19-2017, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
Next time, put the piece in the middle of the back. You did well to choose the diagonal stripe, if the extra was in the middle the stripe would camouflage it at the ends.

To fix this I would copy the end piece, reverse it and applique it to the other end. Now it will be intentional
I was thinking of this too. I just have to see how much of the brown I have left