Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a thread about unloved, fed up with, unfinished quilts ? >

Is there a thread about unloved, fed up with, unfinished quilts ?

Is there a thread about unloved, fed up with, unfinished quilts ?

Old 09-09-2014, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
I make comfort quilts which I give away, so I am always happy to take someones abandoned project and re-purpose it. I re-purpose a lot of thrift store finds, from clothes to linens, including quilts when I can find them. Sometimes I take them apart and reuse the fabric, and sometimes I really like what someone else didn't.

So if you are ever looking for a new home for an ugly or otherwise unloved project, keep me in mind! Hugs and smiles.
You are my kind of person. I love fixing up something someone abandoned. That's why I enjoy patching. It make something reusable again for a while.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:16 AM

Just pass it on, as is, to the closest community quilt group. That's what I do, give it away and forget it. I love the idea of test blocks being red white and blue for a future quilt. Terrific idea.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I don't know about a thread with suggestions for ufo's that are unloved, but, a suggestion would be to donate them to a group that will finish them and pass them on to the needy. Check with your local quilt guild, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

That being said, I have put away tops and gone back much later and changed them up to make a great quilt.
This is not about an unloved quilt, but rather unloved fabric. Years ago someone on here complained about a set of strips she hated. I thought I could do something with them. So, she sent them to me. One of the cutest kids quilts I ever made. Turquoise was not included in the set, but ran thru several of the strips. So I bought some and completed a little girl's quilt. Wish I could post pics, because I loved this one.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
we ought to start a round robin for unwanted UFO's - put yours in a box, send to next person, they take out what they like, add theirs, send to next person. Like a coupon train, if you know what that is.
Trying to keep the post office in business? Tee Hee! I'd simply describe the quilt as well as I could, pics would be nice, and then send it to the first person willing to deal with it.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:12 AM

The guild that I belong to had a program a couple of months ago where we brought in an unloved UFO (or more than one!) for show and tell and optional donation. Most were donated after the show and tell. In addition, we've been collecting orphan blocks and fabric for many months. We got together last week to sew charity quilts, and they came together super fast because we had so many partially finished quilts to start with. We only had six people sewing that day, and we did 16 quilts in five hours! None of them ended up looking like the original quilter's plan, I'm sure, but they were all beautiful and will all be great for our charity donations. We still have loads more fabric and blocks for our next charity sewing day, too.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
we ought to start a round robin for unwanted UFO's - put yours in a box, send to next person, they take out what they like, add theirs, send to next person. Like a coupon train, if you know what that is.
Good idea..... :-)
Old 09-10-2014, 06:47 AM

Justflyingin has a good point about our American 'disposable-society'. Materialism and consumerism, driven by US advertising and the mega-corporations which pay for it, are responsible for a huge amount of it.

On the other hand, a few hand-made articles pitched or re-purposed aren't going to sink the ship! There are a lot of good suggestions here, but how you deal with a UFO has a lot to do with how you view your own handiwork - investment of time, talent, ego...
Old 09-10-2014, 11:00 AM

Don't torture yourself.

Honestly, I'd rescue the medallion and turn it into a throw or lap quilt or similar. It is absolutely stunning.

As for the butterfly parts, can you cut 'blocks' of a decent size with the finished/attached ones as a centre? They don't necessarily need to be the same size block. I'm thinking cut it into useable blocks then see if you can pass these on to a local guild or Linus Project group. If there are any un-appliqued ones they could go along too.