Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a thread about unloved, fed up with, unfinished quilts ? >

Is there a thread about unloved, fed up with, unfinished quilts ?

Is there a thread about unloved, fed up with, unfinished quilts ?

Old 09-07-2014, 01:59 PM

Strategically cut out blocks, sew solid borders on, line with good interfacing and/or batting and turn them into tote bags, lunch bags, shopping bags and mini-purses. You might be surprised at how your quilt looks then. HTH
Old 09-07-2014, 02:45 PM

I donated two finished tops to my guild and they finished them up for service quilts. The guild is in the middle of a project where the members are making quilts for the residents of a new nursing home affiliated with the hospital. The resident chooses the color and possibly the pattern they want.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

I have seen many quilt tops (or finished quilts) posted as "uglies" where I wondered what the originator saw. They looked beautiful to me. Your butterflies are so bright and cheery, I know someone would get good use out of the project. It's a real happy top.

If you want to just get rid of it, then you can donate it to someone who finishes work for community service. It is too pretty to just sit in your stash and give you angst. If you want to get something in return, then you could offer it up for trade against someone else's UFO.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:54 PM

I was at a show once and a quilter used one of her old unliked quilts by cutting it into pieces and using the pieces to make a new quilt.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:46 PM

Pope Francis said when you waste food, you are stealing from the poor. You don't have to be Catholic to agree with that. And throwing away a quilt that is half finished or you don't like has the same meaning for me. You're taking warmth from someone who might be freezing. Someone will finish these uglies and they will get a lot of love.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:02 PM

Not all of us... Many of us are very conservation minded. It hurts to hear people judge all of us this way. There is a growing movement of people here who are very much aware of social issues.

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
Americans have such a wasteful mentality that it hurts anymore when I hear that you just "throw it away". If you live somewhere else for a while (as in a poor country) where there isn't quite as much plenty, you become much more aware of this waste and excess.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by AllyStitches View Post
Not all of us... Many of us are very conservation minded. It hurts to hear people judge all of us this way. There is a growing movement of people here who are very much aware of social issues.
I think you're right. More and more are getting aware of the need to conserve our earth. I hope the movement keeps up. Quickly!
Old 09-08-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
I sent mine to someone on the board that was requesting material, blocks and such for charity quilts her group was making. Post the giveaway offer on the board and someone will want them..they will not go to waste that way!
That's what I did! I like to make quilt tops, but I don't like to finish the quilt. When I'm done with a top, I'm done. A few years back a gal posted on the board that she would take any unwanted quilt tops or unfinished quilts to complete and donate to her favorite charity. I lived in CA and she lived in WA. We were headed up her way so agreed to meet her so I could give her my unfinished quilts. I've since moved to WA and we're meeting up again so I can give her another stack of quilt tops, and this time we're going to spend some time together. How great is that! I've made a new friend AND I have a home for all my unwanted quilt tops.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Pope Francis said when you waste food, you are stealing from the poor. You don't have to be Catholic to agree with that. And throwing away a quilt that is half finished or you don't like has the same meaning for me. You're taking warmth from someone who might be freezing. Someone will finish these uglies and they will get a lot of love.
And you don't have to be a heathen to disagree with it.

The "people are starving in Africa" line never made me clean my plate as a child, and the "you're taking warmth from someone who might be freezing" line is not going to guilt-trip me into passing along completely unacceptable fruits of my own labor. It's not stealing anything from anybody.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:19 AM

I make comfort quilts which I give away, so I am always happy to take someones abandoned project and re-purpose it. I re-purpose a lot of thrift store finds, from clothes to linens, including quilts when I can find them. Sometimes I take them apart and reuse the fabric, and sometimes I really like what someone else didn't.

So if you are ever looking for a new home for an ugly or otherwise unloved project, keep me in mind! Hugs and smiles.