Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are these salvageable? >

Are these salvageable?

Are these salvageable?

Old 06-10-2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Iraxy View Post
I was just thinking the very same thing. Since you have batiks in it, and they have different variations of color, it would not look out of place. So, take a gamble and see what happens. Overdying seems to me just another process and if you are disappointed then you are disappointed twice. Good luck!
I embroidered "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" the blue thread did bleed. I tried many things. I finally soaked it in Oxy Clean. Worked very well.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:54 AM

I think it just looks a little old and worn out. I dont think it looks bad at all. I would finish it.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:38 PM

I agree with Jan. I think the run makes the quilt look like an antique. Thus, if the chemicals don't work after you launder it, you will have an instant antique. You can call it "limited edition." froggyintexas
Old 06-10-2014, 05:20 PM

I LIKE the effect of the bleeding....especially if it's dispersed throughout your blocks. It provides some additional interest and makes the blocks look VERY "vintage". Once the blocks are made into the quilt, I personally would hope that there would be MORE bleeding because it looks like the lighter fabrics were over-dyed or hand-dyed and it softens the overall effect. Embrace the "funkiness"!

When life sends you lemons, make lemonade.......
Old 06-10-2014, 06:02 PM

Never knew that about Dawn!
Old 06-11-2014, 11:15 AM

HAVE YOU TRIED THE STRIPS YOU CAN BUY AT THE GROCERY STORE? i HAD RED ON WHITE AND WHEN I USED THAT IT TOOK IT RIGHT OUT.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Teri D View Post
I LIKE the effect of the bleeding....especially if it's dispersed throughout your blocks. It provides some additional interest and makes the blocks look VERY "vintage". Once the blocks are made into the quilt, I personally would hope that there would be MORE bleeding because it looks like the lighter fabrics were over-dyed or hand-dyed and it softens the overall effect. Embrace the "funkiness"!

When life sends you lemons, make lemonade.......
I love this post!! I often just kind of "roll with it" when something goes wrong, particularly if it's something just for me.

BUT, to remove it...I know RIT makes a color remover now as well; might be easier to find locally than Synthropol (I've seen it at Joann's.) I haven't used it myself but one of my coworkers (who makes her own clothes) swears by it.

You might be able to just hand wash these blocks to get the bleed out; maybe put a little fray check along the edges if the fabric seems prone to raveling. If just a little humidity made it bleed, a sink full of water and a little soap might be enough to pull it back out.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
If I were doing this for myself, not as a gift or for sale, I'd complete the quilt as is, wash with retayne or synthropol (I can't EVER remember which is right for afterwards!!) or Color Catchers, and love the quilt no matter what. I just don't believe any quilt is so ugly that it can't serve the purpose for which it was intended, and no quilting fabric is worth throwing out.

Best of luck.

Jan in VA
This is what I would do also. Finish it. Wash with synthropol ( Keeps excess dye suspended in water). Love it and use it!
peace