Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: These triangles are going to drive me to drink

I am also working with triangles at the mo doing a kite design quilt and i know what you mean about sewing them on the wrong way round but i unpick them and this is more frustrated than anything lol,,,

Largo FL
    Quote Originally Posted by seamstome
    GRAMMY, we are sisters...YES it is striped fabric on top of it all!!!
    I am making squares first. Then take my dritz marking tool and draw a diagonal line on the back of each striped fabric. Sew 1/4" on each side of that line. Then cut on the line. Press open and you have two triangles.

I figured out each square gives you strips in two directions. After you have two squares worth of triangles you can match them up.

Marking with dotted lines
    Name:  Attachment-156113.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  76.6 KB

Sew 1/4" on both sides of the line
    Name:  Attachment-156114.jpe
Views: 16
Size:  52.3 KB

Cut the line
    Name:  Attachment-156115.jpe
Views: 8
Size:  71.1 KB

Triangle squares
    Name:  Attachment-156119.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  57.6 KB

Kawartha Lakes, Ontario, Canada
    PatP that is a wonderful stained glass window in your avatar!

Northern New Jersey
    I'm not a triangle fan either

South central Nebraska, US
    Quote Originally Posted by seamstome
    I dont know what it is about triangles. I can do circles, I can do complicated paper piecing but I cannot do triangles.

I get the colors on the wrong side. I sew the wrong sides together, making a square not a larger triangle. Luckily I have extra fabric.

Intellectually, I understand them....but somehow I cannot get them tamed. I have two quilts going right now that are triangles. I am finishing these and never doing another one.

But for right now, I think I might just stop and have a margarita.
    I feel your pain! I have a full bottle of wine, wanna come? :lol:

Blog Entries
    Thank you neeng, that window is 5 ft in diameter the trim is sassafras wood . It use to hang in the second story of our old farm house. DH put it there and then he installed it in our new home. When the sun shines I feel like I am in church everyday! The baby is grandson Parker Lance in his great-grandma Palmers christening gown with matching underskirt.

Ontario Canada
    Okay...just when I was getting my mind wrapped around the idea of trying triangles...all that add 7/8 stuff...I was really gearing up to try it...ugh! I'm sticking to applique...LOL!
    Oh and thanks so much for the warning about stripes and triangles...RFLOL!

HSTs are the only way to go! Just look at the pics of how to, & try it! So much easier!...

Eastern Iowa
    Blog Entries
    I like to use a Wonder Cut ruler to do HST's - the ruler does the math for me - I just have to cut strips...there are other rulers on the market that work well for cutting triangles also.

I dont have problems sewing them. I have a problem putting them together properly. I finally did what the one quilter posted and laid them out on the side of my machine.

I am not doing HST. I always get so confused about what they are called. I am doing the ones where two triangles are put together to make another triangle. You sew on the short side.

I got half of them done...only need 32. But I have 15 mistakes!!! Stripes wrong way, WOW upside down, accent color in the wrong place and the infamous put two triangles together and get a square.

My husband just came in and laughed. He thinks it is hilarious. I think he is sleeping on the couch tonight.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast