Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
They welcomed me anyway!!!!! >

They welcomed me anyway!!!!!

They welcomed me anyway!!!!!

Old 11-15-2010, 05:48 AM

Let me start at the beginning, a month ago I was going to a quilt show in Gaylord, MI. When I got to the Alpine Lodge, the girl behind the desk was very helpful to tell me that the quilt show was not until the 13th and 14th of November. So I said, "I'll be back". So, I drag my hubby and my niece who was visiting for the weekend back to Gaylord for the quilt show. The girl behind the desk this time said, it is in that first room. So, I walk to the door, and see about 20-25 machines all set up and lots of ladies working on their Christmas projects! The first lady inside the door said, "Hi, are you looking for someone?" I said, "No, I thought there was a quilt show here today". Nope, it was a quilting retreat, but they all said, come on in, see what we are working on. They let me come in, they all showed me their projects and even commented on my bow tucks purse that I had with me. They welcomed me with open arms and said I should join them next year. It started out as an embarrassing situation, but turned into a nice visit.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:51 AM

Quilters are a great bunch of people!!! I love to see projects under construction. I get loads of tips and new ideas getting to see things from the ground up.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:52 AM

I am glad that turned into a great visit for you! That must have been very fun to see what everyone was working on....lots of inspiration. So did you ever find out if and when there was an actual quilt show?

Sound like you have made some new quilting friends...that is always fun! I love retreats..they are fun and exhausting, and I ususally hurt from so much laughing. Good for you!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like typical quilters to me! Glad you had fun :D
Old 11-15-2010, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
I am glad that turned into a great visit for you! That must have been very fun to see what everyone was working on....lots of inspiration. So did you ever find out if and when there was an actual quilt show?

Sound like you have made some new quilting friends...that is always fun! I love retreats..they are fun and exhausting, and I ususally hurt from so much laughing. Good for you!
There never was a quilting "show", but the lady behind the desk must not have been a quilter or she would have known the difference.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:09 AM

Think that I would have been slightly disappointed, (with my husband smiling)...but I like the way things turned out.
Quilters are just the best of all people. I hope you do join them next year and report back to us with photos!
Old 11-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Love that you had a private quilting show!! Are you planning on joining them next year? :D:D:D
Old 11-15-2010, 12:57 PM

Nice to hear from someone in the Gaylord area. I spent some years in Grayling when my parents owned a motel. Just loved canoeing the AuSable River. Beautiful area!
Old 11-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

Aw, sounds like a nice group of ladies!
Old 11-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

nice story! nice people! yessiree, I do love my quilting buds:thumbup: highest percentage of 'niceness' in any group, will be found among quilters! :XD: