Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thin black border >

Thin black border

Thin black border

Old 06-25-2011, 04:49 AM
MM

Recently in answer to a question about what to use for a border, someone posted that she often/usually/always (can't remember which) uses a thin black border first and then other coordinating border(s).

I thought I'd bookmarked that discussion as I was interested in using the thin black border idea on a couple of quilt tops I have, but now I can't find it. I'd like to re-read the discussion, particularly in regard to the width of the black strips.

Can anyone point me to that discussion, or if you are the black border quilter :), could you please tell me what width black you use? If the width varies with the quilt, how do you determine what width to use?

Thanks so much,
Margaret
Old 06-25-2011, 05:08 AM

I haven't read that discussion but a well known quilter living near me always/or most of the time, "frames" her quilt with a black or dark tone border and then puts a co-ordinating border one. Following her I use a 1.5" border, finished 1" and then a wider border, quite often 3" - 4" depending on the size block, it really enhances the quilt IMO.

This is a recent scrappy D9P with a framed 1" border and a 3" till roll border.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:36 AM

I do that on many of my quilts. Black or dark. Or I will use a flange. It is hard to see on this pic but there is a 1/2 inch flange between the star and the Greek Key border. In person it pops.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-216302.jpe  
Old 06-25-2011, 05:52 AM

I don't know the thread you mentioned, but I often use a narrow stop border before adding wider ones. It acts to contain the center design and gives the eye a place to pause, but not stop completely, before continuing on.

Unless the center is very dark, black acts too much like a dead stop. You want the narrow inner border to act as the thin mat color in a double matted picture, not as the frame. Frames go on the outer edge, not somewhere inside. ;)

If you do not actually use a color contained in the center, the color and value should certainly compliment those colors. Again, think of picture matting. The width should be proportional to the quilt as a whole, but I find that an inch works well for most.

There is an excellent free sample class at Quilt University on how to choose effective borders for your quilt, http://www.quiltuniversity.com/registrar_free.htm
Old 06-25-2011, 05:52 AM

I use a strong color that coordinates with the quilt. I cut the strips at 1 1/2", so they finish at 1". I don't want the colors in my quilt to bleed into the border. My current quilt has a black ground, so it's border will be my favorite bright from the quilt before it gets a piano key border.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:58 AM

We did that one time, and really liked the result. The downside was that adding borders took almost as much time as making the top! Sorry I don't have a better pic - this quilt is queen size.

Close-up of borders
[ATTACH=CONFIG]216340[/ATTACH]

On the bed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]216341[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-216334.jpe   attachment-216335.jpe  
Old 06-25-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by wesing
We did that one time, and really liked the result. The downside was that adding borders took almost as much time as making the top! Sorry I don't have a better pic - this quilt is queen size.
That is lovely! Great choices. I'm glad you took the time to add all of the borders. :thumbup:
Old 06-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

i like skinny inner borders. I'm doing more of them lately.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-216393.jpe  
Old 07-25-2011, 03:37 AM
MM

Thank you all for your answers and pictures. Love seeing how you've used narrow borders or flanges. I'll be using your advice from now on as I finish my quilts.

Margaret