Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thinking outside the box >

thinking outside the box

thinking outside the box

Old 11-09-2010, 09:30 AM

This is a new idea for me, but I bet there are other quilters that have already thought of this. I went to Penny's Outlet with a friend who was looking for new drapes for her new home. I was browsing and found the sale bin full of drapes and bed skirts. They are all 100% cotton....the drapes were fully lined. I bought a pair of olive green drapes, a pair of floral drapes and a qn. size bed skirt. The bedskirt is 15" wide and it yielded about 4 yds in length, the drapes are 42" wide and 84"long (each panel) and yielded 4 yds. for each pair. I took out all the hems and pressed the fabric. All that for about $17.00. Would you consider that a bargin??
Attached Thumbnails attachment-122369.jpe  
Old 11-09-2010, 09:34 AM

Beautiful fabric! I love the florals. Good work!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:35 AM

Pretty fabrics...are they cottons or something else? Whatever it gives you lots of fabrics to play with!!! Will be anxious to see what you make out of these.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:35 AM

I think thats a great idea! and bargain too!!!
Originally Posted by oma66
This is a new idea for me, but I bet there are other quilters that have already thought of this. I went to Penny's Outlet with a friend who was looking for new drapes for her new home. I was browsing and found the sale bin full of drapes and bed skirts. They are all 100% cotton....the drapes were fully lined. I bought a pair of olive green drapes, a pair of floral drapes and a qn. size bed skirt. The bedskirt is 15" wide and it yielded about 4 yds in length, the drapes are 42" wide and 84"long (each panel) and yielded 4 yds. for each pair. I took out all the hems and pressed the fabric. All that for about $17.00. Would you consider that a bargin??
Old 11-09-2010, 09:37 AM

That's a HUGE bargain!! Wonderful way to re-purpose something. My youngest son (20) is really into recycling, re-using, etc. and told me how happy it made him to know that his quilt will be made of his old cotton shirts and blue jeans. So much better than landing in a landfill. I think that's one of the things that I like about the quilters I've been meeting on this board...we're not only creative...but very thrifty as well!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

Great Find! Way to go!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:44 AM

Location: Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground

Originally Posted by oma66
A great bargin it was, Love the colors as it is my best in colors , the green goes very well with it , I am always thinking when I see sales like that or someone will change their minds on the drapes and even slipcovers, some times clothing, I would think of the same,thinking what I can use it for.. Great minds work well... at a $17.00 bargin, its great.. can't wait to see how it comes out..

KandiKane
Old 11-09-2010, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsapquilter
Pretty fabrics...are they cottons or something else? Whatever it gives you lots of fabrics to play with!!! Will be anxious to see what you make out of these.
Yes, they are all 100% cotton. I always check the weave of all the fabrics I buy by holding it up to the light to see if the weave is even and how tight it is. Penney's had very good quality in their fabic items, but I still check just like I do in the quilt shops. Expensive fabric does not alway mean great quality.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:47 AM

Fantastic idea..... You got a great deal on this, and the fabric is sooooo pretty. I'm sure you are going to have alot of fun with these fabrics.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:36 AM

Great find! Creative thinking! Looking forward to seeing what you do with them!