Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For Those Experienced Quilters....... >

For Those Experienced Quilters.......

For Those Experienced Quilters.......

Old 09-29-2011, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Spray basting helps. Starching also helps a *lot*.

I heavily starch the backing fabric before sandwiching. My method for yardage is to mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" it on using a large wall painting brush until the fabric is saturated, toss in dryer, then iron with steam.

I also starch the top, but for that I use spray starch.

Starching stabilizes the fabric so it doesn't distort while you are working with it. Spray basting helps keep all the layers together so one fabric doesn't stretch more than the other.

When sandwiching, it's important not to stretch the backing. You want it lying perfectly flat, but not stretched tight like a drum. If you clamp or tape a stretched backing down, once you unclamp or untape the fabric will spring back to its normal tension, creating excess in the top and batting.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:26 AM

I have started putting the quilt top down first then batting then the backing. i pin and flip over and pin the heck out of it. Less wrinkles for me that way!
Old 09-29-2011, 11:32 AM

Smooth, smooth, smooth, pin, pin, pin is the only way I get good results. Be careful not to stretch anything.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:39 AM

Once I discovered spray basting, I do not have any issues with tucks on backside or anywhere else. The fabrics do not shift or stretch as they are held in place far better than you could ever think about by pinning.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:46 AM

Maybe that is what I am doing subconsciently - stretching. The quilting is a hit or miss until I found out for SURE what mistakes I have been doing. Pressing vs ironing is another one that stretches the fabric....maybe I should be completely awake when I sew? haha Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
Originally Posted by Lori S
I used to hate quilting my tops as the dreaded tucks were inevitable . Once I discovered spray basting they were a thing of the past. I do use my walking foot , that in combination with spray basting cured my really bad case of tucks .
You use your walking foot to quilt with?
Yes , when quilting straight lines a walking foot is the best choice. If you are doing curves , then a Free Motion foot ( or darning foot) is the best choice.
I just took a FMQ class and we were taught to use the FM foot for ALL quilting. . .
Old 09-30-2011, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I just took a FMQ class and we were taught to use the FM foot for ALL quilting. . .
I think they each have their place. I like the walking foot for cross hatch. It's got that little bar attachment guide.