Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For Those That Pre-Wash, What is Your Process??  I've Never Done This But Plan to Use Red. >

For Those That Pre-Wash, What is Your Process?? I've Never Done This But Plan to Use Red.

For Those That Pre-Wash, What is Your Process?? I've Never Done This But Plan to Use Red.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 AM

I WAS TOLD AT THE QUILTING STORE TO USE VINEGAR AND WARM WATER IN THE KITCHEN SINK.THIS WILL SET THE COLORS.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:52 AM

I did a little digging on that Synthrapol, and this is what I found.

"Is there any substitute for Synthrapol?

Yes, ordinary laundry detergent will work fine, if it's all you have access to. It usually has a high pH, so do not add it until after you have rinsed out the majority of the unattached dye without using any detergent.

In washing out excess unattached fiber reactive dye after dyeing, it is more important to use very hot water than it is to use Synthrapol. Synthrapol probably does not remove any more dye than ordinary detergent, but warm or cool water is highly inefficient. The hotter your water, the more effective your washout of unattached excess dye will be. Try to use water that is a minimum of 140°F (60°C) for washing out; some dyers prefer to use boiling water, instead, for a huge improvement in efficiency. (Never use hot water on all purpose or direct dye, and avoid its use in washing fiber dyed with acid dyes or basic dyes, as well.)

For most purposes any laundry soap will do pretty well. If you can get Synthrapol, you should, but if you cannot, just use whatever detergent you have access to. Remember to wash or rinse first in cold water, and then in the hottest water that the fabric can tolerate. Hot water is more important than detergent, in removing dyes, but it is important to rinse out all salt and auxiliary chemicals before using hot water. Try not to use ordinary high-pH detergents until after you've washed away as much dye as you can without any detergent at all. Synthrapol can be used even in the first washing.

For hand-washing silks and wools, you could use any shampoo you would use for your hair, as it has the same advantage of non-alkalinity. However, shampoo tends to produce a lot of bubbles, which should be avoided in automatic washing machines, and the hair conditioners often found in shampoos are not recommended at all. A superior alternative, for hand-washing only, is pure sodium lauryl sulfate, sold in feed stores as Orvus Paste. Orvus is an excellent detergent for protein fibers. However, it becomes difficult to rinse out if combined with an acid, such as vinegar. Be sure to rinse out all auxiliary chemicals before using Orvus to launder your silk or wool.

Other Brands

G & S Dye, in Toronto, sells a non-ionic detergent called TNA Soap, which they describe as generic Synthrapol.

Dharma Trading Company, in California, has recently (late 2007) introduced their own equivalent to Synthrapol, Dharma Professional Textile Detergent, which is similar in function but lacks the isopropanol and the resulting overly alarmist warning labels. Dharma Professional Textile Detergent costs a little less than Synthrapol.

I have never heard anything to indicate that either of these substitutes is in any way inferior to the Synthrapol brand."

By the way, "isopropanol" is often better known as isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol. I'm not sure I'd care to use that on my fabric.

So what I'm reading here is that the best method is to first rinse or soak in cold water, then wash in the hottest water the fabric can stand, with any detergent. Since they're not against something with a "high pH", then vinegar would certainly do no harm, and in my mind, would still do some good.

It amazes me what they can come up with to spend our money on in order to replace simple, cheap, vinegar. Or am I just feeling jaded.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:35 PM

I wash in the sink in cold water, I don't ring it out. I lay it over one of those fold away wood dryers in the bath tug and when it is dry I fold and put away. When I am ready to use it I starch and iron. I don't wash anything unless it is a color that might bleed. Now days the fabric is a much better quality than years ago that I don't think it's necessary to wash everything. But I understand a lot of people still do. For me with still working full time the less I have to do the more enjoyable it is for me.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:16 PM

When I do it, I use my easy cycle and cold water with a drop or two of laundry soap and a little bit of vinegar. Then I dry it and press off.

quilter 70
Old 09-15-2011, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
personally....... most of the time I just use the sink....( unless I have A LOT of fabric, which is rare. ( for cotton fabric)
I fill the sink with hot water..... a dash of detergent and let it soak for several hours.. if it is a particularly bright color or I see it is bleeding into the water... I will empty and refill the water. Rinse well, then I toss it into the washer for a good spin.... into the dryer it goes and again on hot...... iron as necessary.
I do the same but if it is bleeding I add salt and vinegar as well and let the water cool to almost cold then rinse. If it still bleeds I repeat the process and rinse well until no color is left in the water.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Annya
personally....... most of the time I just use the sink....( unless I have A LOT of fabric, which is rare. ( for cotton fabric)
I fill the sink with hot water..... a dash of detergent and let it soak for several hours.. if it is a particularly bright color or I see it is bleeding into the water... I will empty and refill the water. Rinse well, then I toss it into the washer for a good spin.... into the dryer it goes and again on hot...... iron as necessary.
I do the same but if it is bleeding I add salt and vinegar as well and let the water cool to almost cold then rinse. If it still bleeds I repeat the process and rinse well until no color is left in the water.
I understand the vinegar, but what's the purpose of the salt? I'd love to know!
Old 09-15-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by MacThayer
Originally Posted by Annya
I understand the vinegar, but what's the purpose of the salt? I'd love to know!
The salt is used to help set the dye in your fabric. I can't afford or some time find the dye setter. I add about 1/2 cup of salt 1/2 filled with hot water.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:33 AM

I am with you -- as it would be washed when complete. A lot of chidren's quilts need frequesnt washing and often have bright colors. Find out first.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by mamaw
I use the washing machine, cold water, and little soap. Do not add fabric softener!!
I normally don't wash anything in hot, so figure why should I wash my fabrics in hot and draw the dyes right out of them. I bought some batiks from an Amish quilt shop in PA and she told me the same thing. Wash as you normally would the quilt after it is made.
I know some don't agree with this, but works for me.
Same here. always turns out great = the cemicals make me sick If I don't wash all fabrics frist before I quilt :lol: