Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For Those That Pre-Wash, What is Your Process??  I've Never Done This But Plan to Use Red. >

For Those That Pre-Wash, What is Your Process?? I've Never Done This But Plan to Use Red.

For Those That Pre-Wash, What is Your Process?? I've Never Done This But Plan to Use Red.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:50 AM

I'm worried about shrinkage and colors running. They usually aren't DIRTY, so no soap or detergent. Hot water in the sink or washing machine to make sure they shrink all they can. Then dry on hot in the dryer, iron and cut.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Seperate the darks from the lights.
I use All fragrance-free, dye free detergent.
I use Clorox 2 on all.
No softener.
Wash on delicate.
Dry on either timed low to medium depending on how many pieces there are in the dryer, for about 20 - 30 minutes.
Fold and store according to color or category: ie holidays, children, flannel, etc.

I have tons of fabric and have never had a problem with colors.

I learned to iron the fabric when I pull out of the drawer to use. I alway's ironed beforehand and then again when I pulled out to start cutting. Now I have more time to play.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by the casual quilter
I prewash fabric the same way I do my laundry. I wash in cold water and dry on regular heat. I use detergent but not fabric softener. I do use Color Catchers especially with reds and purples. If the Color Catchers seem really saturated with dye when I finish, I'll re-launder with another Color Catcher.
Ditto. Be sure to not put light colors in with the red even if you use color catchers. And yes, a second (or more) washes till the red run off is gone!
Old 09-11-2011, 12:40 PM

The situation involving "bleeding" involves the chemistry of the dyes and the dying process. A color catcher acts like a white sock in the laundry and probably has some additional chemical to "draw" out the "loose" dye. Using a color catcher will help prevent the bleeding from landing on other fabrics, but it will continue bleeding with each wash until all "loose" dye is gone -- could take one wash or it could take many, many washes.

What is needed is a chemical to "set" the "loose" dye, and that is what the Retayne product does. It is called a "color fixative", and it is effective in setting dyes when the original dye process at the factory was not done properly. There are probably other brands of color fixatives, and I would be interested in hearing about them if any of you have had experience with them.

What is interesting to me is that using an excellent quality brand name quilting fabric is no guarantee that the fabric won't bleed. Not all inexpensive fabrics bleed, and not all expensive fabrics don't bleed.

Dayle
Old 09-11-2011, 01:08 PM

My LQS favorite ladies told me, I'm a new quilter too, not to use harsh detergents. She said Tide and those sort of detergents are hard on cotton fabrics and any fabric. I bought a bottle of Ivory Snow that I keep just for washing my fabric. I've washed all of my fabric, so far, in the washer, regardless of the size of the pieces. I find that quilting in such a relaxing hobby/craft. I just love it. Good Luck! ! !
Old 09-11-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed
The situation involving "bleeding" involves the chemistry of the dyes and the dying process. A color catcher acts like a white sock in the laundry and probably has some additional chemical to "draw" out the "loose" dye. Using a color catcher will help prevent the bleeding from landing on other fabrics, but it will continue bleeding with each wash until all "loose" dye is gone -- could take one wash or it could take many, many washes.

What is needed is a chemical to "set" the "loose" dye, and that is what the Retayne product does. It is called a "color fixative", and it is effective in setting dyes when the original dye process at the factory was not done properly. There are probably other brands of color fixatives, and I would be interested in hearing about them if any of you have had experience with them.

What is interesting to me is that using an excellent quality brand name quilting fabric is no guarantee that the fabric won't bleed. Not all inexpensive fabrics bleed, and not all expensive fabrics don't bleed.

Dayle
Having read so much on this board in the past on Retayne, I purchased some at the Festival of Quilts last month as I have some extra wide, bright pink, batik fabric for the back of a king-size quilt. However, having read the instructions, I'm a bit concerned as to how to use it. It says to fill your machine with HOT water but, here, our washing machines fill with COLD so there's no way I can add the Retayne and then the dry fabric to the hot water! The instructions then go on to say that the finished quilt should only be washed in cool water - never hot! Do you have hot water fill in the States? - how do you cope with these instructions, both the fabric washing and the quilt washing afterwards? Once the quilt has left your hands, there's no quarantee as to how it will be washed!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:12 PM

Wash it again with a color catcher and a cup of white vinegar to set the dye, and see what happens. Just a suggestion.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:37 PM

I prewash at the temperature that I think the finished quilt should be laundered -- usually cold. I use white towels as color catchers (or at least they were white once). I iron without starch, then iron again when I am ready to use it, with starch.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria
Do you use your washing machine or just fill up the utility sink and do it by hand (the lady at my LQS mentioned she does it in her sink)?
Washing machine.
Cold water
Smaller than usual amount of laundry soap, but some.
Put it in the dryer for a normal cycle's time; not super hot; on my machine it's the "permanent press" setting.

As soon as I get home from the LQS (or as soon as I open the package that came in the mail), I take my fabric DIRECTLY to the washing machine. Because once it's in my quilting room, I want it to be ready to work with.

I do not iron it after wash & dry, but do fold asap. In most cases, that's sufficient.

I wash light colors separate from dark/rich colors. Because of what I learned here, I started using color-catchers. They appear to work.

I much prefer working with pre-washed fabric. Easier to stitch, easier to quilt.

Have fun!

-- Jillaine
Old 09-11-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by mamaw
I use the washing machine, cold water, and little soap. Do not add fabric softener!!
I normally don't wash anything in hot, so figure why should I wash my fabrics in hot and draw the dyes right out of them. I bought some batiks from an Amish quilt shop in PA and she told me the same thing. Wash as you normally would the quilt after it is made.
I know some don't agree with this, but works for me.
Ditto, here. I usually throw it in with like colors of laundry, and dry with said laundry, too.