Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those of you who have made the BQ2 quilt >

Those of you who have made the BQ2 quilt

Those of you who have made the BQ2 quilt

Old 08-16-2014, 08:32 AM

Default Those of you who have made the BQ2 quilt

I really like the BQ2 quilts and I am thinking about buying a pattern, but I am concerned. The fabric that I am going to use has 8.5" square patterns that I will be using for the big section.

My concern is that the quilt pattern will call out to use different size for that large section... and my fabric really has to stay in the 8.5"square. If I cut it down, it will ruin it. (the fabric is actually for making a book - but I don't want to make a book with it. Each square is a page in the book so if I cut it down that will cut part of the "picture" away)

I don't mind buying the pattern, but if it will not work for my 8.5" picture, then I can't use it.

Will this pattern work for directional prints? I don't want to have to turn my little boys and girls sideways

Do any of you guys know?
Old 08-16-2014, 12:26 PM

The one I made took 12-5" blocks for the big block for queen quilt and yes you turn one one way and the next one around to set together so watch how each is turned. I dont have the pattern. Make a pretty quilt.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

OK, I changed the pattern to work for an 8.5" square. This way you can get 5 squares from the width of the fabric. What I did was put the pattern into EQ and let EQ change the dimensions. Yes, you can do directional prints. I have a design wall so it was never a problem but you just have to make half of your blocks in one direction and the other half in the other direction. These are all done with an 8.5" square. A photo is worth a thousand words.
Attached Thumbnails bq2-horse-e-mail.jpg   bq2-parrotts.jpg  
Old 08-16-2014, 01:51 PM

Thank you for your replies.

ManiacQuilter2: Your quilts are beautiful thanks for sharing - you are right pictures are worth 1000 words.

butterfly48: I was thinking about trying it without a pattern as well if the pattern wasn't set for 8.5" blocks...so it was nice to hear you didn't use a pattern. I guess having the pattern would help me have the proportions right though....
Old 08-16-2014, 04:48 PM

Sewing with Nancy had the lady who designed the pattern on her show. They gave the dimensions for the squares. You might go on her website and find it. (Sorry, I can't look up the program #, hubby is using TV/DVR right now.) I like that pattern, too, and want to make it. Heard it goes together quickly.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:23 AM

I've made several BQ2 quilts. I've also adjusted the size of the focus fabric to what I needed. You just need to adjust the rest of the strip lengths to the size of the focus square. It goes together really fast but you have to watch to make sure you're turning the squares in the right direction if you're using a directional fabric. A design wall is really helpful for this.
Attached Thumbnails comfort-quilt-1-closeup.jpg   heathers-quilt.jpg  
Old 08-18-2014, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
OK, I changed the pattern to work for an 8.5" square. This way you can get 5 squares from the width of the fabric. What I did was put the pattern into EQ and let EQ change the dimensions. Yes, you can do directional prints. I have a design wall so it was never a problem but you just have to make half of your blocks in one direction and the other half in the other direction. These are all done with an 8.5" square. A photo is worth a thousand words.
I love both these quilts. I have used the same horse fabric, it sure makes a pretty quilt.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:35 AM

MaggieLou - your quilts are beautiful. Thanks for posting I love looking at what everyone has done. I took scraps and made a test block using an 8-1/2 focus fabric block... ended up being ~14.5" block by time I added the side and top strips. I think what I have figured will work. I am just nervous, I don't want to screw it up and waste fabric.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:38 AM

Meyert, If you think the print on ur material will work I have a pattern and would send it to you. Iv had it for 3 years and I don't think I will be making it just send me your address and i'll send it. Barbara
Old 08-18-2014, 07:43 AM

Thank you, meyert. I had to resize the blocks on the first one. I didn't think to put that in my original post.