Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thoughts on a drop in sewing machine with a gap behind the machine >

Thoughts on a drop in sewing machine with a gap behind the machine

Thoughts on a drop in sewing machine with a gap behind the machine

Old 08-28-2014, 04:18 PM

Question Thoughts on a drop in sewing machine with a gap behind the machine

My local sewing store has a floor model arrow Olivia table. I have had my eye on it and never thought to ask how much they even cost. The list price is like $649. I could get the floor model for $425. Regular price at the shop is $495.

The possible problem is that My janome 6600 fits in it side to side but there is a pretty big gap behind the machine. Do you think that would be an issue with fmq ing? They can't make an insert for it.

I could order a new a new table -- same style but they are now making them for wider machines. It would have a larger opening. $495 And I would need a plexiglass insert custom made. The difference in price would be about $135 if I bought a new table and a plexiglass insert. And I'd have to put it together. Not a huge issue. Hopefully. Lol.

What do you think? Would the gap cause issues with fmq ing and piecing. I'm used to using my attached extension table. I've always wanted a machine sunk into a table. Didn't think I could afford it as much as I can.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:29 PM

I had a machine that fit in the hole dropped in a Horn cabinet and I had a pexiglass insert that fit around the machine, to cover the gap. Then I got a new machine. It fits side to side in the hole, but that insert doesn't fit anymore. So I kept sewing, cursing the gap in the front of the machine, loosing my scissors down the hole. I've since ordered another pexiglass insert that now fits around it. For 2+ years I sewed without the insert, and I think it's most important to have the gap filled in front of the machine to make it easier to feed fabric or quilts in front of the presser foot.

It may be possible to get an insert to fit around your machine with the table you want. The only real issue is the insert cost over $100 plus shipping.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:43 PM

Here's how I solved that problem. I took a piece of styrofoam that came as packing. Cut it to fit the hole then covered it completely in masking tape so it doesn't "shed". I've been using the same piece for several years and because I sometimes change out the machines, I can make different sizes for each machine. I'm cheap!
Old 08-28-2014, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jo C View Post
Here's how I solved that problem. I took a piece of styrofoam that came as packing. Cut it to fit the hole then covered it completely in masking tape so it doesn't "shed". I've been using the same piece for several years and because I sometimes change out the machines, I can make different sizes for each machine. I'm cheap!
I'd say you're pretty smart.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jo C View Post
Cheap!!?? I think you're a genius!
Old 08-28-2014, 05:06 PM

Genius is right!
Old 08-28-2014, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
I had a machine that fit in the hole dropped in a Horn cabinet and I had a pexiglass insert that fit around the machine, to cover the gap. Then I got a new machine. It fits side to side in the hole, but that insert doesn't fit anymore. So I kept sewing, cursing the gap in the front of the machine, loosing my scissors down the hole. I've since ordered another pexiglass insert that now fits around it. For 2+ years I sewed without the insert, and I think it's most important to have the gap filled in front of the machine to make it easier to feed fabric or quilts in front of the presser foot.

It may be possible to get an insert to fit around your machine with the table you want. The only real issue is the insert cost over $100 plus shipping.
The insert would only fit with the larger opening in a new (not the floor model) table. I was quoted $60 or $65 for the insert.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:12 PM

Another point is that if I get the new table and I ever get a larger throat machine it would fit. Like an 11 inch throat. I totally love my 6600 but if I upgrade in let's say 5 years I would be limited to a machine that's no wider than my current machine.

I wish the answer fairy would sprinkle some dust on me!
Old 08-28-2014, 06:15 PM

Janome made a table to fit the 6600 and it came with the machine at some point and retailed for less than $300. You may be able to pick up one used. I know a member from our guild sold hers separately as she traded her machine in on the newer model.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:12 PM

AND green, great recycling
Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
I'd say you're pretty smart.