Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread basting, pictures and advice >

Thread basting, pictures and advice

Thread basting, pictures and advice

Old 10-16-2015, 07:01 PM

Default Thread basting, pictures and advice

I have a quilt I glue basted which I normally do but I had to undo one side partially to straighten a fold I didn't catch as I was going. Now it isn't sticking together all over. I was thinking of thread basting and wondered if that was a quick method. I could pin it but all I have is straight pins. I've used that method once with bloody results! Lol. Wondered if any had any suggestions and or pics to advise on a quick method of sandwiching.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

I just sandwich and baste with thread all the time. never did glue basting
Old 10-16-2015, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

I might try misting the glue with water to see if it would soften the glue enough to restick. If that doesn't work, thread basting is fairly easy. You do giant stitches in a continuous manner. The trick is to make sure you have no wrinkles. Sharon Schamber has a good video using boards.
If you have a table big enough, I would use clips to stretch the sandwich out taut. Place a marble under the back of the quilt on the table so you have enough room to work a curved upholstery needle and do big stitches in a 4 inch grid pattern.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:53 PM

I have successfully followed the hand basting piece of Sharon Schamber's tutorial on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EjBGz5vGQ

In part 1, she talks about using painted boards to roll the layers out evenly while basting, but I still use good old fashioned masking tape. I tape the backing to the floor, layer on my batting, smooth & then layer on the quilt top & smooth again. Then, I grab some ugly old thread from back when I didn't know any better and just bought the cheapest one I could find & get to basting. I don't use floss because I don't see the need to buy more stuff, but I do like working with a chenille needle because it's easy to thread & relatively long. A basting needle would probably work even better. I just haven't gotten around to buying a pack yet. I do that zig-zag pattern. It seems to work quite well -- better than safety pins even!

I know other people swear by basting in circles rather than the zig-zag. For that you just do a large running basting stitch in an outward spiral starting at the center.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:30 PM
Power Poster

If you glue basted with Elmer's glue, then you can simply spray the non-sticking area with a mist of water to reactivate the glue. Spray with enough water to make the glue sticky again, smooth, then leave overnight to dry or speed dry by ironing. Elmer's is just starch so it reactivates with moisture.

you can thread baste but I would think the dried glue will make it difficult to push the needle through.