Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread and bobbin holder. >

Thread and bobbin holder.

Thread and bobbin holder.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:28 AM

Good idea!!
Old 11-01-2014, 12:36 AM

I love the round bobbin savers shown on the site mentioned above. It keeps the bobbins secure as well as the thread.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KittyD View Post
I love the round bobbin savers shown on the site mentioned above. It keeps the bobbins secure as well as the thread.
I too use the round rubber bobbin savers. They grip the bobbin just enough to keep them from unwinding. The golf tees glued point up is a good idea and so is the suggestion of sanding the dowels to a point.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
If the dowels are just a little too big for your bobbins, just take a piece of sandpaper and sand/polish the dowels, until the bobbins will fit onto them. If you put the spools beneath the bobbins, you'll only have to sand/polish the tops of the dowels.
This was going to be my suggestion as well. Or possibly could your DH mechanically taper the dowels for you so it wouldn't be quite such a tedious sanding adventure?
Old 05-01-2015, 07:11 PM

I found these at a local quilt show....they seem to work great!
www.napeli.com
Old 05-01-2015, 08:29 PM

When I make knitting needles from dowels, I use a pencil sharpener to make a point on the dowel ends. You may not want to sharpen the dowel to a point but it would reduce the amount of sanding you would need to do.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:59 AM

My problem is that I use so many different spool "types". It's not pretty, but I keep the spool and bobbins together in a ziplock. I used to have all my spools on dowels, then bought some large cones, and needed an alternative. I will be watching for better ideas.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:33 AM

I see your threads are Connecting Threads, same as mine. I bought a rolling 5-drawer cart to keep mine in by color. They can sit upright too..........until recently as CT has changed their spool to a taller one which has the color # on one end. Now they are too tall for the drawer. My embroidery threads are all on a pegboard and I keep old tea towels over them to keep the dust off as my sewing room is in the basement. I've ran out of room for my quilting (CT) thread so need to figure out a new system for them. I keep the larger cones from CT on a thread rack with plastic straws cut longer than the dowel pins to keep them from falling off. I thought about getting additional pegboard hooks but due to the curve on the end the new spools won't go thru completely.

But as to the 5 drawer cart, I keep the bobbins next to the thread it goes with. I cut the thread label and stick it inside the spool for reference.