Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread choice for machine quilting >

thread choice for machine quilting

thread choice for machine quilting

Old 03-01-2015, 06:24 AM

Question thread choice for machine quilting

I went to the Mid-Atlantic quilt show yesterday and bought some Superior thread- 50wt, low lint poly. I got both prewound bobbins and a large spool. There were of course lots of thread vendors, but I have heard in the past that Superior has great thread- so I got some even though I haven't used it before.
I realized last night that I have been using Fil-Tec prewound bobbins, which I like. I am doing an heirloom wedding quilt, and want the best I can get with stitch quality. I will be quilting with a Babylock Ellisimo Gold II.
Should I take back the Superior thread and get a different brand? how have ya'll liked this brand? I want non-beardy but tight stitches, and I read last night that the poly threads don't grip as well when you snip your blocks apart or start/stop FMQ. However, I know if I sew with 100% cotton that I will have tons of lint- at least, I have in the past...
Old 03-01-2015, 08:23 AM

Is it Superior So Fine thread? That's great for machine quilting. Easy to use. And of course not linty. superior has very good thread but expensive. Remember 50 wt is thin so the quilting will be more subtle than a king tut thread would be. so fine is my favorite to use. I use it in the bobbin too.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:36 AM

Love Superior So Fine thread. It makes beautiful quilting stitches. Angela Walters uses Superior So Fine. Actually I love So Fine so much I'm on there thread of the month club, so I can slowly gather all the colors.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:36 AM

I love Superior Threads. I've used it exclusively for the last 5 or so years, both piecing and quilting.

If your only concern is the stitches coming apart at the edge of the blocks, keep these facts in mind:
The block edges are encased in the seam allowance.
Only the first 1 or 2 stitches come undone*, so depending on your stitch length, you've got another 3 or 4 stitches to go in the seam allowance, and those stitches are holding fast.
The quilting will provide more stability and keep the seams from coming undone.

*I'm temporarily accepting your premise that they come undone - I've never noticed it happening on anything I've sewn.

HTH
Old 03-01-2015, 08:13 PM

Superior is seriously my favorite brand. I love it
Old 03-01-2015, 08:17 PM

I love using the Glide thread from Fil tech but I know Superior is a great brand.. Too $$$ for me
Old 03-01-2015, 08:34 PM

For a quilt with a lot of seams in it and no border, I'd suggest stitching 1/8"to 1/4" around the outer edges of the quilt, no matter what thread you use.

A smaller stitch is also less likely to pull apart at the edges but it is also harder to take out the smaller stitches if you make a mistake.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:40 AM

i only use superior thread on all my machines. great stuff
Old 03-02-2015, 05:18 AM

I really like Superior threads. They seem to be the thread I go to most when choosing a quilting thread. I Like the King Tut the most but I do use Bottomline in the bobbin if I want the stitches on the back to be less obvious. I usually buy mine directly from Superior and watch for sales.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:08 PM

I use Superior and Fil tec threads. I would try a sample and see what you like. Sometimes I like the shine of Glide and sometimes the non-shine of Omni or other threads. I always try a sample to test stitch tension and quality before I start stitching on my quilt.