Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread choice for machine quilting >

thread choice for machine quilting

thread choice for machine quilting

Old 03-06-2015, 04:53 AM

I think that thread information online gets murky - things get muddy between brand loyalty and what the actual use of the thread is. Of course you want to use quality materials - but in attaining good stitch quality is as much about the thread as it is your machine and ITS stitch quality. It is true that Superior has wonderful quality thread - they are also a very good company to work with. But Fil-Tec is also a very good company to work with and also produces a quality product.

In my humble opinion, what you really want to look at here is what KIND of thread you are using, not so much the brand - and what the project is. When I hear "wedding quilt" I think traditional, romantic even, and flowing soft quilting. So Superior 50 wt. would definitely be one of my go to choices. It is thinner and softer looking than the standard 40 wt. thread we would use for machine quilting. You want to look at shine and weight in this situation. Some like the textural look of quilting and feel that shine (Think Fil-tec threads) take away from that. Some like that shine and thing it adds elegance so for those folks it would be a good choice.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:10 AM

I use the KIng Tut for almost all my quilting, but listening to everyone here, I would like to to try what you just bought plus the Fil Tec stuff.