Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread color for quilt back when changing front threads? >

Thread color for quilt back when changing front threads?

Thread color for quilt back when changing front threads?

Old 12-08-2015, 07:05 AM

Default Thread color for quilt back when changing front threads?

I am quilting a quilt for a friend....the backing is a tan paisley. I am using gold on front and back to blend into the blocks. The border is blue with a small white print, and i don't think I want to use gold on top....if I use white or blue on top, what color goes in the bobbin? I am afraid the gold bobbin thread will show on top?
Old 12-08-2015, 07:23 AM

I suggest you try it out on a sample and see if you are getting any bobbin thread on the top. I just completed a quilt that I changed thread colors twice on the top but used the same bobbin thread throughout. I could see the bobbin thread a couple times, but it was not noticeable. Sometimes I have more trouble than others, so for me , its a choice I make on each quilt-and sometimes each thread color change. I DO try to match the weight of both top and bottom so there is not TOO Much difference. I ALWAYS try a bit on the side right before I start for the day. EVEN if I have had no problems the night before. Ask me how I know!( PS you can always change the bobbin thread if you do get gold thread on the top. if you look at BIG name quilters, you can see diff bobbin colors on the back...)
Old 12-08-2015, 07:26 AM

Ahhhh....too late to edit my post....thinking in the shower after I posted....I will try gold on the border-might look pretty and tie it all together!
Old 12-08-2015, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

With doing any FMQ, you must always be concern with the bobbin thread popping up. It is because we can't move the fabric as precisely as the DSM does.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:20 AM

If your tension is correct, the back thread won't show through. Look carefully at the gold stitches, and be sure you don't see any bit of loop between stitches. You can also do a test swatch of the border fabric, batting scrap, and back fabric.