Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread Cost >

Thread Cost

Thread Cost

Old 12-11-2014, 12:24 AM

I'm a big Superior King Tut fan for FMQ and like many of the other posters am an Aurifil piecer. I thought Aurifil was better than Superior Masterpiece - less 'fuzzy'. Nor do I like Gutermann very much for the same reason. I haven't tried Bottom line as I'm not a lover of poly.

Just recently I tried YLI Soft Touch 60/2 for paper piecing and really liked it (admittedly I chose it because the colour was perfect for what I was doing), but I was using a very small stitch. I think I will try the Precencia 60/3 for general piecing.

I've also used Connecting Threads for FMQ with success, although I wouldn't go out of my way to get more (they don't sell it here and won't ship, so difficult anyway, lol).

Here is a link to our own member - ArchaicArcane's - price comparison done a little while ago.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Hey Joellyn,
You do know that there's no silk in Mettler silk finished thread, right? It refers to the "finish" ON the thread rather the content IN the thread. Many are fooled by that.
Jan in VA
I call this the great 'Mettler Silk Myth', lol I think this misinformation is one that was initially perpetuated by dealers and then handed down though 'generations' of quilters.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:44 AM

Silk FINISH. not silk. I love Aurifil and Prescencia. I Just bought a Mettler silk finish to try.

sandy
Old 12-11-2014, 04:20 AM

Cost of Aurifil up here in northern Michigan $11-13 in shops. I've been buying isocord for $6.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:10 AM

Thanks for providing the info regarding Isacord. I have used Isacord thread for over 20 years and love it as my machine embroidery thread. I have problems finding it locally, but now I know where I can get it. And I am going to start using it for my quilting, too. For some reason I just never thought of that.
Thanks again,
Julie

Originally Posted by Lilyfiona64 View Post
patpitter the actual isacord website sells the spools for 3.95. Discount embroidery supplies also sells the apools for 3.95 - they offer free shipping on any size order too.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:56 AM

Bottom Line for PPing is wonderful because it is so thin
Old 12-11-2014, 08:05 AM

As I have to order my threads online I usually wait for a sale. I do like Aurifil though its expensive and I have most all the colors from Connecting Threads and their variety, all are linty but for the price I'll take it. For piecing I've been using the thread that came with my quilt machine as it doesn't seem to like..........GO FIGURE!!!! But its good for piecing. Otherwise for piecing I'm using all the C & C I have up on the pegboard as I have so much of it from clothing projects.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:16 AM

Lilyfiona64, Thank you for taking the time to research, breakdown and list the costs of some of the thread options. Thank you to everyone who has written of their experiences and preferences of other brands. One of the wonderful things of this board is how we help and support one another in all steps of the quilting process, from choosing fabric and thread to patterns and layout to binding. We all gain knowledge from the experiences of others. I know that I learn something new each time I read the articles and notes of others , newbies and wise ones alike.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by kindleaddict63 View Post
Any thoughts on the stuff Superior threads sell.... King Tut, Bottom Line etc?
Honestly I have tried every brand out there with the exception of presencia, and I find superior thread to be the best overall out of all the brands. Love their thread
Old 12-11-2014, 10:40 AM

Lilyfiona, thanks for all of your great, and hard work posting these different threads and prices. They are very helpful, especially since I have not made up my mind what to use. I am a new quilter, and have a little of many brands of thread in the drawer.

At first I was only shopping JoAnns with coupons because I didn't even know there were all these great fabric shops online. My favorite now is fabric.com

Anyway, shopping at JoAnns I preferred the Coats&Clark thread only because the colors seemed more vibrant than the only other choice of Gutterman.

For several reasons now I am giving up on C&C. A lady at this forum has mentioned it is really quite expensive per yard, which I had never figured.

As for the lint issue --how can you tell that it is the thread and not the fabric causing the lint. If a person uses a cotton or cotton/poly batting, wouldn't the tip of the needle carry some lint from the batting down under? Just wondering.

I am also giving up on C&C for a stupid reason, but it is the only one that even though I POKE THE HOLE WITH MY CROCHET HOOK before putting it onto the spindle, it still deposits that ugly black gunk onto my new white spindle on my new machine. None of the others do it.

If I buy C&C from Walmart, it has that slit on the side where the thread gets caught up and breaks my needle. I know enough to turn it backwards, and that does seem to work, but my instruction book clearly says to put the spool of thread on so it comes up from the bottom of the spool, and when I turn it over it comes from the top.

Also, I get more thread breakage from C&C.

So, as soon as I use it all up I am switching brands from C&C.