Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread for FMQ >

Thread for FMQ

Thread for FMQ

Old 02-17-2017, 03:51 AM

It depends on the quilt and it's use. For example, I use a poly for FMQ on children's quilts, I like Isacord and Glide. When I rent a LA for large bed quilts, I use cotton 50 wt in a complimentary color.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:08 AM

Very interesting thread and one that I am learning new ideas from. I have used mostly cotton for FNQ. My favorite is King Tut from Superior. However, I have started to branch out with polyester. I think I like it and will use it several more times before making any hard conclusions. We need to be open to new ideas. However, we need to understand the characteristics of the fiber content. Rayon, a cellulosic fiber has no strength but wonderful color absorption which makes it vibrant. That is a tempting combination but should be left to embroidery because no strength is needed. I have used a gold thread from Superior (King Tut) in a quilt and it was very pretty.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

If you want the stitches to pop (and by that I assume you mean they should be more visible), I'd suggest using a contrasting thread and go for a 40 wt to start. I just used a 28 (or 30) weight and it does show quite nicely.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:47 AM

I love, love, love Valdani 35 wt. thread when I want my stitches to pop a little on top of the fabric. If you go to their website they have a wonderful selection of varigated thread at the 35wt. Remember the smaller the number, the thicker the thread.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:59 AM

Some rayon lines have a polyester line as well. It used to be that poly wasn't as shiny as rayon, but nowadays, they are as pretty as the rayons. Florini, Madiera, and Robinson Anton have gorgeous shiny poly threads in their lines. I would avoid the metallic threads unless you are doing an art type quilt that would not get a lot of use or washings. Metallic threads break very easily.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:08 PM

Check this out--it doesn't make sense but it is true: Light color threads show the individual stitching more than dark color threads, independent of the fabric color. Isn't that interesting?
Old 02-17-2017, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

Today I learned that my machine does very well with FMQ with Isacord 40 wt polyester also in bobbin. The color I am using blends great with the quilt in most places but the stitches are really nice on the contrasting part. I learned about the Isacord on Leah Day's site.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:26 PM

I use polyester Isacord too. I learned about it from Leah Day's site. I buy it locally from the company in town that sells sewing machines, long arms, embroidery machines etc... They have a large (entire wall) of Isacord colors on big cones. You can even get double size cones that are huge!! And a good price!! I started with just a few colors, but as I've quilted more I've added more colors to my collection. The colors I use the most are a Light and Dark Gray, warmish Taupe, White. But I've also used: Teal, Rust, Navy, Gold, and Pink.

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Today I learned that my machine does very well with FMQ with Isacord 40 wt polyester also in bobbin. The color I am using blends great with the quilt in most places but the stitches are really nice on the contrasting part. I learned about the Isacord on Leah Day's site.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:19 AM

There are a number of options to make your quilting "pop":
1) As mentioned, a trilobal polyester thread would reflect more light.
2) You could use a contrasting color instead of a matching color of thread.
3) Switch to a thicker thread (40wt). If needed, you could use Thread Magic to reduce friction/fraying.
4) Add trapunto/faux trapunto. Trapunto is stuffed work. Faux trapunto adds an extra layer of batting under featured designs & then is densely quilted surrounding those designs, typically with a thinner thread like a 60/2 cotton or a 100wt silk.