Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread in a Janome Horizon >

Thread in a Janome Horizon

Thread in a Janome Horizon

Old 12-02-2013, 08:38 AM

Default Thread in a Janome Horizon

I have a Janome 8900 that is picky about the thread I use. Has a Horizon owner ever used Connecting Threads. Essential cotton thread in their machine?
Old 12-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

I haven't used CT essential cotton thread for years but, when I did, it was extremely linty thread. I want to keep lint out of my machine as much as possible (I don't have the Janome; mine is a Bernina), so I usually use Aurifil 50wt 2-ply or polyester thread. Good quality cotton thread is made with long cotton fibers; poor quality cotton thread is made with short cotton fibers, and this is the type of thread that produces a lot of lint. It doesn't make sense to me to use poor quality thread in an expensive sewing machine.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I haven't used CT essential cotton thread for years but, when I did, it was extremely linty thread. I want to keep lint out of my machine as much as possible (I don't have the Janome; mine is a Bernina), so I usually use Aurifil 50wt 2-ply or polyester thread. Good quality cotton thread is made with long cotton fibers; poor quality cotton thread is made with short cotton fibers, and this is the type of thread that produces a lot of lint. It doesn't make sense to me to use poor quality thread in an expensive sewing machine.
Ditto, though I'll use CT thread on vintage machines. I wouldn't consider a machine "picky" if it doesn't like one type or manufacturer of thread. Maybe your machine is just smart;> I'm going to order some CT thread during the sale for my vintage machines, but it's much lintier and has nubs and bumps that good quality thread does not. You can take CT thread and compare it to Aurifil, Superior etc. and see a big difference.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:27 AM

I have the 6600 and I think I used perhaps 3-4 yards and dumped it because I already had large clumps of lint all over my machine. In fact one of the lint clumps FELL off my needle, landed onto my quilt and I quilted the darn thing down while thread painting. It's there for life now ... I don't pick thread painted stitches!!
Old 12-02-2013, 09:05 PM

I buy the large cones to piece with and to use on the LA and don't have any problems with them. They were having a sale today with all threads 40% off. I ordered plenty.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:20 AM

I have an 8900 and use it with no problem, although Aurifil is my new favorite. I haven't had the lint problems with Essential that others here have had. I don't know if it makes a difference that my thread has all been purchased within the last year or so.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:22 AM

My domestic machine will sew with almost anything. But, my long arm only wants Glide. I friend loves to use Sulky thread on her domestic. She swears by it.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:37 AM

i only use superior thread on all my machines.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:40 AM

My horizon is picky - only sulky. Have tried other brands and end up experiencing thread breakage.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:34 AM

CracklinRosie, what type of needle and what size are you using?