Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread jumping out of take up >

Thread jumping out of take up

Thread jumping out of take up

Old 03-26-2016, 03:51 PM

It is a Singer s18 and it is pretty much brand new. It has never done this before today.

I began using a leader before my first piece and it hasn't done it since, so I think it has something to do with starting on the small end of a triangle.

Whatever the reason, let's hope it stays gone!

Watson
Old 03-26-2016, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

Maybe the start up thread tail is too short. If you don't have needle up/down feature you have to manually raise the take up lever to the highest position before sewing. Also the thread may be catching on the spool and not winding off when pulled. If your thread is cross wound it has to come off the top the spool, straight wound it has to come off the side. If it unwinds the wrong way there will be a twist and then all kinds of problems happen.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:51 PM

think you are right that the triangle (without using a leader) wants to be "eaten" by the feed dogs--which then pull the thread out of the take up.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:51 AM

I had that same problem on my old Viking Designer 1. Finally took it to the shop for cleaning,etc and he stated the tension needed adjusted. Well the tension worked great for about 2 weeks and then it seemed to have lost the tension. I jimmie rigged a way to get my tension again by threading it around the little disc you use for when you wind bobbins 1st and then thru the rest of the normal threading route. Seems to give me great stitches this way. I live a distance from the shop so reason why I didn't take it back again. At least it doesn't jump out of the take -up arm anymore.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:52 PM

I've had thread pull out of the takeup lever on both Pfaff and Viking. 1471, 1475 and 2170 Pfaffs.

Checked the thread, checked the threading, no problems or blockage, said to heck with it and taped over the opening in the takeup lever. Thread stayed put after that.

I did notice it happening with the Brother 1500 and the Juki 2010. I think it's the thread cutter. It could be grabbing the top thread too tight to cut, because when the thread backlashes out of the needle, it's curled. So it's tension of some sort somewhere below the needle. Since it doesn't always happen, it's hard to track. Could be bad thread, different weights of thread, cutter blade dull, thread path has an impediment like fluff or a scratch, not having the antenna all the way up (my favorite)
Old 03-27-2016, 01:04 PM

This was what my 401A was doing and I found out I was running the thread through the wring slot on my tension discs. This was before I had my eye's done and I was having a hard time seeing. Did it the right way and it is fine now.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:33 PM

I've had a Viking Platinum 770 for yrs. & anytime things aren't going well, that's the first thing I check. I been told that this is a common prob. with that model but I hear they've fixed that with future models. I hate putting out the money they cost though so I just struggle with it.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:39 AM

I took my janome 6600 this past fall to get serviced and I too had the same problem with the thread coming out of the hook. When I picked it up, they explained that they can shave it or sand it just so many times then it has to be replaced. It helped but it still does it occassionally.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

I had same problem. After many trips back to shop and not fixed my husband finally just squeezed that things that's open, so the thread can get in, and I have had no problem since.
give it a little squeeze thighter
Old 03-28-2016, 04:10 AM

I was just on a quilt retreat.3 of us sitting together all had the same Janome 6600. All 3 of us have it happen occasionally. There doesn't seem to be any consistent reason why it happens. Mine does seem to do it a little bit more when I am chain piecing. I can chain piece for a long time and it never happens and then it will happen several times all together.