Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread keeps breaking in my sewing machine >

Thread keeps breaking in my sewing machine

Thread keeps breaking in my sewing machine

Old 08-26-2011, 04:21 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have a new Bernina 830. I thought it would be a dream of a machine but have lots of trouble with it. Right now I have a hard time finding thread that won't break. If I use 2 ply it won't break. Only problem is: I have one spool of 2 ply that I know of. Most of my thread doesn't say how many plys it is. Most of my thread is more than 2 ply so it breaks. Is there a name of a thread that is 2 ply for sure?
Old 08-26-2011, 04:32 PM

A new machine should be able to use any thread. There has to be a reason for the thread breaking. I'd call my Bernina dealer and ask them for some suggestions. I'm sure they want you to be happy with your machine and will come up with something... it's probably something simple..... tension, thread getting wrapped around something, etc.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:35 PM

Slightly bent needle, maybe?
Old 08-26-2011, 04:36 PM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

sounds like its a tension setting ~ that machine should be able to run just about anything. Dollar store threads are a get-what-you-pay-for experience, but if you're using Coats & Clark, or Sulky, or Gutermann or Connecting Threads you should not be having issues. Every once in awhile a machine comes out of the factory with booboo settings, so maybe that's what is going on.

Don't give up, call your dealer!

EDIT: I recently dug out my Singer Futura 150 backup embroidery machine, because my good Husqvarna's are out at my camper for the wedding quilt I'm doing... for some reason my Futura does not like the Connecting Threads egyptian cotton... and I use that all the time with my Husq! Switched to Coats & Clark smaller spools of cotton from JoAnn's and the Futura is happy now. BUT my Husq machines only like the CT threads now
Old 08-26-2011, 04:39 PM

needle in correct way, threaded correctly? rethread everything, change needle, clean out bobbin case.

Hope you get it solved, nothing worse than being frustrated with your sewing machine. Mine broke a spring yesterday, could have taken it in today, but with the forcast I thought I would wait out Irene.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:43 PM

I've found two main reasons thread breaks on my machine. One is the need to replace the needle. The other has to do with thread windind itself around the spool pin under the spool of thread. This usually occurs after I've stopped rather quickly when the thread is at it's lowest point on the spool.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:47 PM

One of my friends bought the 830 and now never uses it because of all the thread issues, problems with the auto thread cutter and other items. She even tried to get the store to take it back but they wouldn't. She only uses her Janomes now. Talk about a heartbreak!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:48 PM

I have a 830 too. I am able to use lots of thread but there is a WHOLE box that I bought off an Emb Site that will not work in my machine. Which is a bummer because its all the colors I need. I thought maybe it was just cheap thread but I bought a cone of "good" thread to test at my dealer and it broke too. I have good luck with Coats & Clark and Isacord. And all the old thread that I had for my older machine. Also the thread that I pick up at Hobby Lobby works well. I'm afraid to invest in any other big purchases of thread...The 830's are touchy but when you get "the Feel" its the most amazing machine ever! Don't give up..you won't regret it. Just spend some time getting to know her. =)
Old 08-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

I agree with those who think this machine should handle your thread. Take the machine in to the dealer and get the problem sorted out. That machine should not be that picky about thread.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
I agree with those who think this machine should handle your thread. Take the machine in to the dealer and get the problem sorted out. That machine should not be that picky about thread.
Agreed!!! I have the 830 and it doesn't act like that at all!