Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread keeps breaking >

Thread keeps breaking

Thread keeps breaking

Old 07-11-2012, 08:31 AM

Default Thread keeps breaking

Hey everyone.

Im doing a quilt on my frame for a friend who has just started quilting. My thread keeps breaking. I have changed the needle twice, changed the bobbin, a.d changed the tension. Ive even rethreaded the machine several times. Ive used this thread on one other quilt in the past.

My questions....
While during the piecing process, could the thread that is cut off too long cause a problem? Im thinking that maybe the needle could be trying to pick up that thread?????

Could the fabric that is pieced, the really bad fraying be picked up by the needle???? There is a LOT of frays in the back....

Could it be the seams that maybe werent ironed flat enough????

Im at my wits end!!! I dont know what else to try. Any sugestionwould greatly be appreciated.

Wendy
Old 07-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Did she use quilting cotton, or a blend? Is the backing a higher count sheet? I know that some times my thread breaks when I hit an area with a lot of seams coming together.
I would change the needle size, trying a larger and smaller size. Sometimes a smaller needle with pierce the fabric better. I don't think the fraying or stray threads are an issue, but I'm very curious to see what more experienced quilters have to say.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:57 AM

Thank you for your reply! She bought this fat quarters from Joanns for the front of the quilt. The back of the quilt Im not sure about. I did not try a smaller needle. If the thread breaks again, I will try that.

Anyone else with any ideas?

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Did she use quilting cotton, or a blend? Is the backing a higher count sheet? I know that some times my thread breaks when I hit an area with a lot of seams coming together.
I would change the needle size, trying a larger and smaller size. Sometimes a smaller needle with pierce the fabric better. I don't think the fraying or stray threads are an issue, but I'm very curious to see what more experienced quilters have to say.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:06 AM

Check the tension on the quilt sandwich in the frame. It shouldn't be too tight.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

Have you tried sewing with a different thread? Tried a larger needle? Can you identify where the thread is breaking? Made sure the needle is facing the right way? Can you pull the thread through easily before you thread the needle? If not there's a problem with the tension. Also check to make sure there are no bits of thread in the bobbin area.

What kind of machine are you using, and what kind of frame? There may be people with more experience with the same combination who can help.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:00 PM

Hi, when I use old reels of cotton they often have a nick on the side to hold the loose thread, and when sewing the thread gets caught in the nick and pulls tight and breaks. I use an emery board to obliterate the nick or else reverse the cotton reel so it unwinds from the top instead of the bottom and have success. So maybe if all the other cures fail, go back as far as the cotton reel and make sure it isn't causing the problem.
good luck!
Old 07-12-2012, 05:59 AM

First, I try to identify where the thread is breaking--at the needle or somewhere else in the thread path. I also put lines of silicone down the cone/spool to help lubricate cotton thread that appears dry or fuzzy. I have also had the nick in the spool problem mentioned above and done the same plus I use a spool cap. Using an embroidery needle with it's larger eye and sharper point may help. I have had spools that have bad sections of thread on them and had to pull yards & yards off. Some spools I have just pitched because of slubs and I even had one spool with several knots in it.