Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread and needle >

Thread and needle

Thread and needle

Old 07-17-2014, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

I learned a long time ago that being cheap wastes more money then it will save. There are a lot of quality thread brands to use. Thread education is too much to go into in a post. But the only needles I will use are Organ Titanium coated Topstitch needles. Superior Threads sell them under the Superior name.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Terri D. View Post
I like Presencia 3-ply, 60-weight all cotton thread for piecing and Presencia 3-ply, 50-weight all cotton thread for machine quilting. King Tut 40-weight all cotton and Sulky 30-weight all cotton are also good threads for machine quilting.

I use a size 70 needle with the 60-weight thread for piecing and a size 80 needle with the 50-weight.
I like the Presencia 60/3 for all my piecing as well. One cone has pieced at least a dozen quilt tops so far.

Superior has a great chart for matching needle size to thread size/type.

I frequently refer to the needle/thread charts in Harriet Hargrave's Quilter's Academy Volume I as that is my primary reference book.

The reason I like the 60/3 is that it is a fine yet strong thread and hides well so that my 1/4 seams are more accurate.

Stripped threads sounds like a mismatch between thread size and needle eye.

Cheers, K
Old 07-17-2014, 09:00 AM

I use 50 weight Aurifil for everything from piecing to quilting. I use size 14 or 11 Schmetz needles. I have a Janome 7700. I sometimes also use Gutermann thread. Thread cost a little more, but I have never had a problem with either one.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:09 AM

Well, just like there are many different brands & weights of threads, sizes & types of needles there are opinions on what one should use. First make sure there is nothing wrong with your machine, that the bobbin & needles are in place correctly. I then suggest trying different weights of thread & needle sizes seeing which perform best on your machine. For some of the best information on thread & needles in one place, go to Superior Threads web site, everything they say will pertain to any brand, weight of thread & needle you may choose. Good luck in your search.

For me, I have a Baby Lock Ellisimo, I am currently using Superiors Bottom line in the top & bobbin. I also only use topstitch needles, also from Superior, with this current configuration I am getting perfect seams & much happier than I ever was with my Janome.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:21 AM

I learned here about Superior Threads. They have several YouTube videos about thread & needles.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...thread+therapy

I haven't tried the titanium oxide-dipped topstitch needle they recommend yet, as I have a small box full of needles to use up, first. Standard needles we change every 8 hours, or project if we don't want to track needle time. their recommended needle costs $1 more per pack, but lasts 10 times longer. You change it when you hear a change when the needle hits the fabric, goes from a hum to a thunk. (all this gleaned from the above linked videos, I'm no expert by any means.)
Old 07-18-2014, 06:20 AM

I have both Babylock and Pfaff, So far I haven't had any problems with any thread I use. Guess I'm just lucky.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:36 AM

I have a Babylock and never have a problem as long as I use the correct needle for the thread. Are you using the correct bobbin? That may be an issue.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:55 AM

TALK, TALK, TALK & SHOW your dealer what is going on with your thread. ALL machines are a little different, when I got my Pffaf I was told to ONLY use Sulky or Gutermann thread. I had nothing but trouble with the Sulky, but Gutermann was GREAT for me. Then I found out I could use Coats & Clark in the bobbin (but NEVER in the top), so you will find it can be different for you too. But it also sound like you have a burr (not sure if it's on the needle or on the bobbin), but when my baby starts to stripp the thread I know I have a burr (used to lose my mind over it, until I found out what was going on). Good luck
Old 07-18-2014, 08:46 AM

buying the best pays off in the long run
Old 07-18-2014, 09:08 AM

Took me a long time to realize that buying cheap got me exactly that along with many problems. I've purchased only quality thread and Schmetz needles for years and, knock on wood, have been trouble free and that goes for using metallic threads as well.