Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread and needle >

Thread and needle

Thread and needle

Old 07-16-2014, 04:12 PM

Default Thread and needle

I am through, through, through trying to get away with using cheaper thread and needles for my machine. (Baby LocK). I want the absolute bottom line on the best thread to piece, and quilt with and the correct size and type of needle for the machine. I'm tired of my thread being "stripped" (and break) and the bobbin getting all tangled up. HELP!!!!
Old 07-16-2014, 04:15 PM

You do get what you pay for. I only use quality thread in my machine and the appropriate needle size and type. It does pay off in the long run.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:53 PM

I agree, though I don't know what "the best" is! If you look at the many posts on this Board on brands of threads and needles, many brands are named. So I think it may be trial and error and you need to try several brands to see what works best on your machine because what works well on one machine isn't the answer for another. For what it's worth, I use Gutermann threads and titanium needles on my Baby Lock and Juki.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:04 PM

I like Presencia 3-ply, 60-weight all cotton thread for piecing and Presencia 3-ply, 50-weight all cotton thread for machine quilting. King Tut 40-weight all cotton and Sulky 30-weight all cotton are also good threads for machine quilting.

I use a size 70 needle with the 60-weight thread for piecing and a size 80 needle with the 50-weight.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

Talk to Baby Lock directly about your problem and to your dealer. They will give you the best advice for your machine.

As long as you are using the correct needle for the size thread you are using there should be little problems. I do know that a needle that is to small for the the thread will cause shreading and breaking, an over sized needle will give sloppy stitching and missed stitches can cause problems in the bobbin.

Avoid the cheapest thread and try some samples of quality brands. As long as the thread is good the brand shouldn't matter very much. Hope you get this resolved soon.
peace
Old 07-16-2014, 05:51 PM

I was having trouble with thread shredding...Viking Ruby...using Gutermann thread and Inspira needles...and Sulky embroidery thread with correct embroidery needles. My dealer fixed it...the thingy that goes up and down (possibly the 'hook'?) needed a minor adjustment. I still have that problem but, only occasionally, now.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=Byrdwoman;6804308]I am through, through, through trying to get away with using cheaper thread and needles for my machine. (Baby LocK). I want the absolute bottom line on the best thread to piece, and quilt with and the correct size and type of needle for the machine. I'm tired of my thread being "stripped" (and break) and the bobbin getting all tangled up. HELP!!!![/QUOTE

What kind/brand of thread were you using?

What kind of needles?

Your needle(s) may have gotten bent or a barb on them - that could cause you some problems.
Do you sew "over" pins?
Old 07-16-2014, 08:57 PM

I have a Viking and have found that almost any of the major thread brands work. I do not like the inspira needle. Never had any problems with thread brands until those needles, so back to schmetz I went. The finer the thread the smaller the needle. Specialty threads require specialty needles, quilting, embroidery, metallica, etc.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:15 PM

Cotton-superior is top notch by far. I have tried almost every other brand on the market with the exception of presencia and floriani and didn't get any breaks from superior, with gutterman being my second fave. That being said I also used to have a babylock and that thing took any thread I threw at it so it may be your needle. I am not sure what thread you are using but I have pieced with coats, gutterman, mettler, and connecting threads with no problem. I have never had thread shred when piecing now FMQ is a different story. Hated YLI, sulky, aurifil, and even gutterman got a small amout of shredding while king tut stood the test with no shredding at all with gutterman being second. Poly is another thing. I have not tested a lot of poly on the market with piecing or FMQ. With FMQ I have used isacord, and signature successfully but don't have experience with other brands other than gutterman for piecing which is no problem. I did find poly didn't shred with FMQ the way all the cottons did but the look is very different. You may just have to find a good site and just order quite a few types of thread to try different brands to see what works for you. Its a little pricey to do this at first but when you find something that works for you it makes everything go smoother
Old 07-16-2014, 09:18 PM

I forgot to mention that I have never pieced with superior only FMQ, but I did like it so much I bought some masterpiece to try out but haven't had the chance yet as I am busy with non-quilting projects at the moment, but I will post once I try to let you know how it works. I have had only brother and babylock machines and neither were fussy with thread