Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread preference for sewing hexagons >

Thread preference for sewing hexagons

Thread preference for sewing hexagons

Old 11-14-2014, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I use silamide type A thread...so far the best, in my case anyway, and I open the hexies...the one I am attaching to the the one I am attaching to and then whip together.....I think, in my case anyway, when I have then face to face, whip together, then open up there is that nano amount of thread that shows from the fold over, but then I sew side to side stitches are in the back of that hexie....saw it in web somewhere.....tried it...and my preferred way of doing it. But, each has to find what works for them.....
This is the method I have used as well and don't recall really seeing any stitches on the front side. I'm not a picky thread person, so I just match color as best as possible regardless of thread type. Although, for hand applique I would probably go with silk just because it is so much finer - but (at least for me) a bear to work with.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by minstrel View Post
I always use a ladder stitch and much prefer it to a whip stitch.

You rarely ever see any of your stitches.
YES!! Ladder stitch is much superior to whip stitch, in my opinion. Here is a sample of some hand stitching I did with ladder stitch.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]498784[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails ladder-stitch-sample.jpg  
Old 11-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Here's a link to another thread about hand sewing hexies together:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t254020.html

I changed to hand sewing them together the same way I would hand piece anything. Much faster and easier for me!
Old 11-15-2014, 10:48 AM

Thank you all for responding. I stayed up late last night and experimented. Using the invisifill thread was a finer, neater look and the ladder stitch did disappear, but when I gently pulled the hexes apart, they did tend to separate. I think that was just because it was my first experience though. I have never heard of silamide type A thread before, so I am going to look that up today, and I have some silk thread so I will try that too. My mom made a gfg quilt and it is beautiful. She is gone now, I wish I had asked her more about her work. She made everything look so easy and so beautiful. I am going to keep on stitching. You have convinced me that I can come up with something I will be pleased with.

Peckish, your stitching was amazing! I am going to try the ladder stitch again.

In spite of my learning curve problems, I am loving the project.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:53 AM

I have tried both types of stitching and they both have their drawbacks: whip stitch does show a little but not so much that I don't like it, and ladder stitch is a bit slower going - at least for me it is. I tend to like hand quilting thread because I know it's very strong but I don't bother to match because you can't when you use two different colored fabrics (always). So now after reading this is the Silamide a silk thread? Is silk pretty strong? I don't know that much about threads.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

Here is a link to the silamide A thread that was mentioned (it is nylon thread):
http://www.amazon.com/BeadSmith-Sila...dp/B000RB1K5G/

It comes in black and other colors also.