Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread >

Thread

Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 08:44 AM

You can always pool a little thread on the project to see if it blends or clashes before doing a project. Who knows, you might find that you have created a new trend.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:56 PM

If I'm uncertain about a color of thread or fabric, especially if matching, I will ask the shop employee for permission to step outside to view the spool or bolt in the light of day. If they're skeptical, I invite them to come with me to offer their opinion. Lighting in most stores is not color-corrected and oftentimes downright lousy for trying to determine true color, and I find that going outside always provides me with the best information.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:40 PM

It drives me crazy they don't have a list somewhere that states the name of the color. I have gone on-line with a couple brands so I knew what to buy. My local dealer keeps a list handy, so if there is a question you can look at the list. I do find that if I put it next to the fabric you can tell rather quickly.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:51 AM

I've also found a bolt of the color I'm looking for - black/navy and laid thread against it to make sure it is the right color. Seems odd that the employe would tell you that they wouldn't make a navy thread. Glad to hear that your brown thread blends well.

Cheers, K
Old 05-30-2014, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

Yes, there have been a few times I've seen thread with no color, but just numbers. That may be fine for the manufacturer, but those codes do not mean much to the public.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:18 AM

I find it hard to believe that someone working in a fabric store wouldn't know they make navy thread. Where has she been? I have several different shades of Navy so yes they do make Navy thread. I think probably the reason they don't put the color on the end of the spool is that there is usually numerous shades of every color. I think there must be some code to the numbers, such as all browns start with the same number, blues with another number etc., but I've never paid attention to that.