Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread type >

thread type

thread type

Old 01-06-2010, 11:00 AM

I know and am thankful that there are no rules for quilters or quilting. :-D That being said, a friend of mine who also quilts says that I use the wrong type of thread as I use 100% cotton or the cotton thread with the silk glace finish. Furthermore, when I look at the pictures of sewing rooms, I notice that most use the poly covered cotton thread. I also recently sewed with some poly covered cotton (can't remeber why) but found that I hated using it. So I guess my question is do I use my preferred thread and ignore my friend's suggestions? Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

If it works for you, then use it :D:D:D
I use 100% cotton for piecing and I love it too :D:D:D
Old 01-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

If your machine likes it then it's the right thread. The only no no is not use hand quilting thread with a glaze finish on a machine. Over time it will put a groove in the tension disc.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:57 PM

Use what you like. Some quilters say use only 100% cotton.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I know and am thankful that there are no rules for quilters or quilting. :-D That being said, a friend of mine who also quilts says that I use the wrong type of thread as I use 100% cotton or the cotton thread with the silk glace finish. Furthermore, when I look at the pictures of sewing rooms, I notice that most use the poly covered cotton thread. I also recently sewed with some poly covered cotton (can't remeber why) but found that I hated using it. So I guess my question is do I use my preferred thread and ignore my friend's suggestions? Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.
If it works for you, is a good quality thread and won't destroy your work over time, use it! I use mostly 100% cotton thread when piecing and sometimes I use a poly thread (like Superior) when appliquing if I can't find a cotton thread that matches the color of the applique.

If you hate the thread, don't bother with it! Some machines do get picky with certain types of threads and no matter what anyone else says, it won't make the machine work better with a thread it doesn't like. You know your machine and what works for you. Politely thank your friend, tell her you will consider her advice, then just ignore it. She feels better and it keeps any problems from occurring. ;)
Old 01-06-2010, 02:19 PM

If it works for you, is a good quality thread and won't destroy your work over time, use it! I use mostly 100% cotton thread when piecing and sometimes I use a poly thread (like Superior) when appliquing if I can't find a cotton thread that matches the color of the applique.

If you hate the thread, don't bother with it! Some machines do get picky with certain types of threads and no matter what anyone else says, it won't make the machine work better with a thread it doesn't like. You know your machine and what works for you. Politely thank your friend, tell her you will consider her advice, then just ignore it. She feels better and it keeps any problems from occurring. ;)
It's true that my machine didn't do well with the poly thread but then neither did I. :) I'm happier with my machine when I'm using the cotton thread.

As to my friend, I'm know she thinks hers is the only opinion that matters but I will ignore that as I have done with her comments concerning the cotton thread. I chalk that up to too much poly thread in her possession to just chuck and go buy cotton to replace it with. :)
Old 01-06-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
If your machine likes it then it's the right thread. The only no no is not use hand quilting thread with a glaze finish on a machine. Over time it will put a groove in the tension disc.
Thanks for that advice. I did try to use it once in my machine, can't remember why, but it wouldn't even stitch more than 1 inch before I had problems with it. I think I gave it to someone who does hand quilt.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:39 PM

Don't fix what's not broken! It's your work, use what you like! ;)
Old 01-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

I would use what you are used to and like.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:07 AM

Use whatever works for you.