Thread: thread type
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I know and am thankful that there are no rules for quilters or quilting. :-D That being said, a friend of mine who also quilts says that I use the wrong type of thread as I use 100% cotton or the cotton thread with the silk glace finish. Furthermore, when I look at the pictures of sewing rooms, I notice that most use the poly covered cotton thread. I also recently sewed with some poly covered cotton (can't remeber why) but found that I hated using it. So I guess my question is do I use my preferred thread and ignore my friend's suggestions? Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.
If it works for you, is a good quality thread and won't destroy your work over time, use it! I use mostly 100% cotton thread when piecing and sometimes I use a poly thread (like Superior) when appliquing if I can't find a cotton thread that matches the color of the applique.

If you hate the thread, don't bother with it! Some machines do get picky with certain types of threads and no matter what anyone else says, it won't make the machine work better with a thread it doesn't like. You know your machine and what works for you. Politely thank your friend, tell her you will consider her advice, then just ignore it. She feels better and it keeps any problems from occurring. ;)