Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thread weight question

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    50 wt. is a heavier and stronger thread than 60 wt. And it's the reason I use it for piecing. 60 wt. would be better suited for finer stitching like heirloom or in the bobbin for embroidery.
    they are recommending the 60wt for paper piecing now and I do a lot of that, but if 50 is best for everyday stuff, I might just have to use that!
    Interesting. I would think ripping away all that paper would stress a 60wt. thread. I've always used 50wt. for P.P. and have had no issues.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    50 wt. is a heavier and stronger thread than 60 wt. And it's the reason I use it for piecing. 60 wt. would be better suited for finer stitching like heirloom or in the bobbin for embroidery.
    they are recommending the 60wt for paper piecing now and I do a lot of that, but if 50 is best for everyday stuff, I might just have to use that!
    Interesting. I would think ripping away all that paper would stress a 60wt. thread. I've always used 50wt. for P.P. and have had no issues.
    just the opposite the tiny thread with a tiny stitch makes the paper just melt off...it is great..of course I also use a 70microtex needle and newsprint paper..all add up the best PPing experience!

Jacquie, have you gone to:

http://www.superiorthreads.com

I'm sure your probably have but Bob gives the school of Threadology seminars all over the US and you can go to his links/lessons on understanding thread and what needles/thread on his website and learn what works best for whatever you decide to create. His lessons have never failed me.

Hope this helps.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltmaker
    Jacquie, have you gone to:

http://www.superiorthreads.com

I'm sure your probably have but Bob gives the school of Threadology seminars all over the US and you can go to his links/lessons on understanding thread and what needles/thread on his website and learn what works best for whatever you decide to create. His lessons have never failed me.

Hope this helps.
    he was at the Dallas show and I missed his seminar! Darn!

I use 50 wt for piecing, either Aurifil (fav!) or Masterpiece. Superior Threads chart and seminar teaches that cotton is best got piecing since poly *can* melt under high heat and of course, one presses pieced units and blocks. But then...whatever works for you.

Of the two, I like the 50 wt compared to the 60 wt. I just prefer a little heavier thread... But, it is your choice. Whatever gets the results you want, then go for it!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I only use cotton!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2