Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Threading >

Threading

Threading

Old 08-24-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by tdgiffin
I am doing something very wrong. Every time I stop sewing and then restart, I have to rethread my sewing machine. I am a patient person, but this is getting to be a bit much. I have the tension set at what the sewing manual directions suggest. I have the machine threaded correctly. What could be causing this? Please help my sanity!
Always start sewing with the needle in the up position, so it isn't going up and pulling on the thread. I have this trouble with my old machine, used to be my mother's. I forget to make sure the needle is all the way up. The new machines do this automatically.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

I swear by leaders and enders. Bonnie's quiltville website will tell all about them too. I always save the ears from my Flying geese units and I have tons of little HST now! Getting into the habit of leaders and enders will most likely solve your problem of the machine coming unthreaded.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:30 PM

I have the same trouble with mine any time I don't make sure that the thread pulled to the back and securely under the presser foot before I start stitching. If I get in a hurry and it is out to the side, it comes unthreaded every time because quite often the uptake to complete the stitch is not at it's highest point when I stop, so it pulls the thread up and out of the needle.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:26 PM

Well...I figured it out..it was so simple that I overlooked it. I did not remember to put th elittle cap that goes over the end of the spool on and the thread was catching on the end of the spool where the little slit is for you to stop thread from unwinding. I get the "DOH!" award for the day!
Old 08-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

try pulling your end thread out further and cut it longer so when you start again you have a longer start piece and hang on to it when you start stitching.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by tdgiffin
Well...I figured it out..it was so simple that I overlooked it. I did not remember to put th elittle cap that goes over the end of the spool on and the thread was catching on the end of the spool where the little slit is for you to stop thread from unwinding. I get the "DOH!" award for the day!
That's ok! We're all allowed a few of those "DOH!" moments! LOL! :thumbup: