Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Thrift store find! >
  • Thrift store find!

• Thrift store find!

Old 11-22-2011, 12:01 PM

Default Thrift store find!

I bought today two bolts of Designs by Luther Travis for 5th Avenue Designs (vat dyes - preshrunk - protected with Dupont Teflon Screen Printed) fabric I am at work so I can't post the pictures. The fabric feels like polished cotton. Anyone know anything about quilting with a polished cotton? Or maybe I can use it for backing or lastly make curtains for the classroom.
    Thanks
    Old 11-22-2011, 04:04 PM
    Power Poster

i can picture shams or throw pillows... but you got a LOT of the fabric
    Old 11-22-2011, 04:11 PM

You can make curtains, duvet cover, bedskirt with polished cotton. I suppose you could do a quilt.
    Old 11-22-2011, 04:13 PM
    Banned

you can do a test to see if it really is glazed or not..take a small strip about 3" wide, or just a square of one corner about 3" and put into a bowl of HOT water..let it sit....wring it out on a towel and press dry...is it still glazed...
    Old 11-22-2011, 05:30 PM

Well we use sheets, flour sacks, denim and even neckties. Anyone remember making a quilt out of polyester material back in the 70's when it was cheap and plentiful? I would absolutely consider it for a quilt. If you can cut it and sew it you should be able to make a quilt. I would definately want to see what you do. I bet it would make a simple design 'shine'. Is it a solid smooth fabric or does it have a design?
    Old 11-22-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    you can do a test to see if it really is glazed or not..take a small strip about 3" wide, or just a square of one corner about 3" and put into a bowl of HOT water..let it sit....wring it out on a towel and press dry...is it still glazed...
    You amaze me with all the stuff you know! How in the world did you become so knowledgeable? You must have been fooling around with fabrics all your life!
    Old 11-22-2011, 05:43 PM

I just washed off-white polished cotton. I washed it in Hot, soapy, bleach water. Let it soak until the water was not hot.
    The polished or glazed came out. It turn out nice piece in a quilt block. I have sometime used solid polished cotton on the wrong side (no-glazed side). Just text and see what's happens. Good Luck.
    Old 11-22-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by carslo
    I bought today two bolts of Designs by Luther Travis for 5th Avenue Designs (vat dyes - preshrunk - protected with Dupont Teflon Screen Printed) fabric I am at work so I can't post the pictures. The fabric feels like polished cotton. Anyone know anything about quilting with a polished cotton? Or maybe I can use it for backing or lastly make curtains for the classroom.
    Thanks
    polished cotton has long been used for the best quilt stitching...it is absolutely gorgeous...probably just not remembered because the trend has been toward prints for a long time... but it was very popular in revolutionary quilts, often combined with broderie perse.
    Old 11-22-2011, 10:27 PM

I have some beautiful polished cotton. I didn't know all this but it is pretty. I was going to make Christmas pillow tops out of the red and green. Thanks guys. All this is good to know.
    Old 11-23-2011, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by carslo
    Thanks
    if it's protected by TEFLON, it's not polished cotton. Sounds like it's upholstery fabric maybe.