Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thrift Store Score -yoyos!  Are these old or repro? >

Thrift Store Score -yoyos! Are these old or repro?

Thrift Store Score -yoyos! Are these old or repro?

Old 08-11-2014, 06:05 AM

The stitching is done with cotton thread...which makes it look like a child may have done it...I'm betting Grandma & momma worked these blocks...but there are no reproductions that I can see. My mom got some nice color feedsacks in 1955 from a company in Calif...I was only 3, can't recall, but dad bought sacks of flour and sugar...and mom always saved the free dish towels that came in the washing powder.

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Thanks ladies! Yes, some of them are really similar to dish towels. Some are sort of pebbled...I think that's called seersucker fabric? So maybe clothing scraps are included too?

None of the stitching is falling apart and I don't see any wear around the edges so I'm thinking maybe older fabric but more recent stitching. Especially if Jan is right and there's some Moda in here!

Regardless of their age I think they're really neat and will definitely be making some stuff out of them. At least one bag, if not two or three. I have a couple of aunts who I think would really love these so I'm thinking these will work their way into some Christmas gifts too. I'm happy I got so many of them! I can do a few different things. They'll languish in the UFO cabinet for a little while, I have a huge list of things I'm "right in the middle of" but I WILL get to them!
Old 08-11-2014, 06:09 AM

I remember mom telling dad that she hadn't seen stuff come in these sacks in forever. My dad was a scavenger...so, who knows where he got them...but I do know it was good flour....lots of gravy and biscuits from those...and even shared with Mrs Warner...she made the best German food/deserts...and always fed us kids. She loved those feed sacks!
Old 08-11-2014, 06:33 AM

My Grandkids love making them. We do them in Christmas fabric and make garlands for the tree.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

Great find....