Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Thriming threads off before going to LAQ... help please

Thriming threads off before going to LAQ... help please

When taking a quilt top to a LAQ ... do you just cut all the sewing threads and the threads that frayed for the fabric...I have a quilt that has a lot of black and that fabric seems to have really frayed and there are a lot of those thread on the back of the quilt, do I have to cut all of them off?
    Thank you

I try to get as many as I can before sending to the LAQ.

Trimming the threads are specially important when your quilt has whites or lights where the black/dark threads will show through....I don't always trim them when they won't show through (I do my own fmq).

I trim as many as I can before I put in on the frame to quilt.

I do LA quilting and prefer to have the strings cut away .....especailly dark threads that can and will show through the lighter fabrics. A stray black thread will SHINE through a white or light colored block. Not good! I know it sounds like a big chore, but it's definite worth the effort.
    Linda

Power Poster
    Get as many trimmed as you can but don't pull on strings from the fabric edge. You only have a 1/4 inch seam and if the pieces are not perfectly on the straight of grain, you can be in danger of taking out too much fabric. A sticky fabric roller is sometimes helpful to collect loose threads.

I try to get as many threads cut as possible as I finish each block so it is not such a daunting task once the top is completed. Having a snippet by my ironing board is a real help with getting thus done.

Trimming threads is important if there is a large value change and white is on the top. Also, getting off animal hair. I use masking tape. Also, getting threads off the front. I'm LAQ and make sure all loose threads/hair is off the top so it doesn't get quilted down.