Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: tie off /hand quilting

Blog Entries

tie off /hand quilting

I have started hand quilting,and have tried some samples of what to do to end my stitch at end of row. Not doing so good. Any help --please!!

I like to bury my knots. I make a knot in the thread after the last stitch and then put the needle through the top fabric, into just the batting, and then bring the needle back up through the top fabric and give it a tug and the knot will pop through the top fabric into the batting. Clip thread close to the the fabric and then it's buried. Not sure if I explained it well.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Just before taking your last stitch in a row or pattern, with the needle still threaded, tie a knot about 1/4" above the surface of the quilt, and take your last stitch. If you place your thumb over the knot and tug it in the opposite direction while pulling briskly on the tail of the thread, you should be able to pop the knot into the layers of the quilt, hiding it.
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

I like your method to tie off and hide the knots. Thanks for sharing.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

I tie off by making a French knot, like embroidery, after the last stitch then just pop it to the inside of the quilt.

I bury my knots like all the other posters here, but I also wiggle my needle in the batting before I pull the knot through. The theory is that it makes a little tangle of batting there, to help trap the knot.

Janet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
    I like to bury my knots. I make a knot in the thread after the last stitch and then put the needle through the top fabric, into just the batting, and then bring the needle back up through the top fabric and give it a tug and the knot will pop through the top fabric into the batting. Clip thread close to the the fabric and then it's buried. Not sure if I explained it well.
    Exactly what I do