Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip for beginner quilters >

Tip for beginner quilters

Tip for beginner quilters

Old 08-06-2016, 12:03 PM

Default Tip for beginner quilters

I have been quilting for a long time, and today I am starting a baby quilt for nephew and wife's second child. I made one for the first born and I was thinking I really wish I knew what size quilt I made for him. I have a picture of it, but can't tell how big it is. Anyway, I know that I have seen where some of you have made journals or notebooks of quilts you have made and I really, really wish I had started it from the first quilt I ever made. So, that is my tip for beginning quilters. Get a notebook with protective sheets and put a picture and any information in it that you think you might use later on down the road, ie: pattern, fabrics, pictures, and size, etc., etc., etc.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:44 PM

This might be a great thing for beginners but I started keeping my graphing pages and notes too. Someday when I am gone and my kids have to sort things out, it can bring back memories for them or just a reminder of what I have accomplished. I have been quilting constantly since my cancer diagnose and treatment in 2007/8. Currently I am on #630. I donate or give most of mine away as gifts. Plus I make mostly King/queen size or twins. God healed me and now I am doing my part to return his blessing by giving to others. ( I include a bible verse in each quilt).
Old 08-06-2016, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

My neighbor has done a little scrapbooking for many years. Every quilt she has made she has always had photos of and has notes of the patterns and a copy for that quilt. Size and amount of yardage, occasion for the quilt and who was the recipient. The label and its location on the quilt is also there. Everything is archival and she has scraps of the fabric and batting and backing. If there was a border that is duly noted. a photo of the recipient and date received. She has 2 bookcases full and a couple trucks. Each family has their own scrapbook. They will get that when she passes. She has given some books to somefamily members. She also notes the sewing machine she used to make the quilt.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

Wow! I wish I had done that, too.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

I used to try and keep a journal of all the particulars for each of my knitting projects. I tried to keep it up for one year, and after that decided it was W.O.R.K. and I had more fun just knitting. I suspect I'd feel the same way about my quilting.

Winging it and loving it!
Old 08-06-2016, 02:48 PM

I have "Quilt Journal" by Fairfield that I've had for years. There are pages for photos and comments. I include who it's for, when it was made, size, pattern, any info I want to include. I recently got "Quilt Album" for my computer and it allows me to document much more information and add as many pictures as I want. www.quiltalbum.com I can also make greeting cards and many other things. It's a very versatile program. I'm still learning to use it to its full capacity.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:33 PM

i keep a journal--about once every 3-5 months I'll pull it out and update. Besides the info that others have mentioned, I also put who will inherit (I have 2 kids) the quilts when I'm gone.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
My neighbor has done a little scrapbooking for many years. Every quilt she has made she has always had photos of and has notes of the patterns and a copy for that quilt. Size and amount of yardage, occasion for the quilt and who was the recipient. The label and its location on the quilt is also there. Everything is archival and she has scraps of the fabric and batting and backing. If there was a border that is duly noted. a photo of the recipient and date received. She has 2 bookcases full and a couple trucks. Each family has their own scrapbook. They will get that when she passes. She has given some books to somefamily members. She also notes the sewing machine she used to make the quilt.
Hope that's a typo and you meant to say trunks, not trucks! LOL. I have referred back to my notes and pictures. Find it is very helpful.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I used to try and keep a journal of all the particulars for each of my knitting projects. I tried to keep it up for one year, and after that decided it was W.O.R.K. and I had more fun just knitting. I suspect I'd feel the same way about my quilting.

Winging it and loving it!
That's kind of the way I feel. Although I do try to get a photo of all my quilts.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:04 PM

As a total novice, I really appreciate all these suggestions. Thanks to you all for passing along your experiences and tips.