Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip for tee shirt quilt >

Tip for tee shirt quilt

Tip for tee shirt quilt

Old 05-11-2011, 06:35 AM

Hi, I was reading on this site yesterday but of course couldn't find it again this morning, but the person was talking about not using tee shirts that were screen printed (I think - correct me if I'm wrong) because the ironing would become an issue, with the print causing an issue sticking to something during the ironing process. It mentioned using a pressing cloth though.

I am beginning my very first tee shirt quilt, and was ready to apply the stabilizer last night. Fortunately I read this post first, and I decided to use freezer paper instead of a pressing cloth. The waxy side of the freezer paper applied directly to the print on the tee shirt and peeled off, leaving no damage to the print on the shirt. Voila!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prissnboot
Hi, I was reading on this site yesterday but of course couldn't find it again this morning, but the person was talking about not using tee shirts that were screen printed (I think - correct me if I'm wrong) because the ironing would become an issue, with the print causing an issue sticking to something during the ironing process. It mentioned using a pressing cloth though.

I am beginning my very first tee shirt quilt, and was ready to apply the stabilizer last night. Fortunately I read this post first, and I decided to use freezer paper instead of a pressing cloth. The waxy side of the freezer paper applied directly to the print on the tee shirt and peeled off, leaving no damage to the print on the shirt. Voila!
Hi Priss, that was me. In a lot of screen printed shirts when you press your blocks in the piecing process, if you apply a hot iron directly to the imprint, it will melt and smear. This is after you have already applied your interface. Like when you sew a sashing strip on and go to press or join two T-shirt blocks and are pressing your seam allowance. That is when it is a good idea to put a piece of cheap fabric between your iron and the top of the T-shirt imprint. I have used old torn up pillow case or a cheap scrap of muslin. I suspect your freezer paper will work too but when you apply the interface your tshirt is right side down and all interfacing I have used the instructions say to have a damp cloth between your iron and the iron on interfacing. The freezer paper shouldn't be necessary in this case, there are enough layers of fabric between your imprint and your hot iron when applying the interfacing. It is when you are pressing after joining units that you will run into the melting problem with the T-shirt imprint if you don't put something between the T-shirt and your hot iron. At least that has been my experience.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:59 AM

Feline,

(I love your online name, by the way!!!) ;)

Thank you so much for the clarification - I have only ironed on the interfacing, will start stitching tomorrow evening - have church this evening, quilting never interferes with that, although my Pastor always tells us to sow (sew) into the Kingdom....I don't quite think that's what he's talking about!

Anyway, I will definitely remember your helpful hint!

I plan on doing another tee shirt quilt later this year and will definitely use the 12" square ruler - talk about a brain fart! I forgot I had it which is why I didn't use it this time. Duhhh!!!

Happy Quilting - enjoy the journey!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:03 AM

when you put the backing on it will stick to your iron just finished putting the backing on t-shirts and I used tinfoil laid the print face down and it made the ones that were cracked and dull look like they were new. Someone told me not to use the tinfoil but I had already finished doing them
Old 05-11-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot

Oh wow.... thanks!