View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 06:52 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prissnboot
Hi, I was reading on this site yesterday but of course couldn't find it again this morning, but the person was talking about not using tee shirts that were screen printed (I think - correct me if I'm wrong) because the ironing would become an issue, with the print causing an issue sticking to something during the ironing process. It mentioned using a pressing cloth though.

I am beginning my very first tee shirt quilt, and was ready to apply the stabilizer last night. Fortunately I read this post first, and I decided to use freezer paper instead of a pressing cloth. The waxy side of the freezer paper applied directly to the print on the tee shirt and peeled off, leaving no damage to the print on the shirt. Voila!
Hi Priss, that was me. In a lot of screen printed shirts when you press your blocks in the piecing process, if you apply a hot iron directly to the imprint, it will melt and smear. This is after you have already applied your interface. Like when you sew a sashing strip on and go to press or join two T-shirt blocks and are pressing your seam allowance. That is when it is a good idea to put a piece of cheap fabric between your iron and the top of the T-shirt imprint. I have used old torn up pillow case or a cheap scrap of muslin. I suspect your freezer paper will work too but when you apply the interface your tshirt is right side down and all interfacing I have used the instructions say to have a damp cloth between your iron and the iron on interfacing. The freezer paper shouldn't be necessary in this case, there are enough layers of fabric between your imprint and your hot iron when applying the interfacing. It is when you are pressing after joining units that you will run into the melting problem with the T-shirt imprint if you don't put something between the T-shirt and your hot iron. At least that has been my experience.