Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: tips of broken sewing machine needles? where do they go and will they hurt my machine?

Blog Entries
    I can't be the only one to worry about this. I'm doing a project on my Bernina QE153 and I'm breaking a lot of needles. I'm going to switch to a machine I don't care about so much that is more heavy duty, but I cleaned the nina out, got rid of the dust balls, and changed the needle...all those things you do. But I can't find the broken tip and I've turned her upside and shook it, don't hear anything...so is the needle tip in the project? Do I need to take her in to get it tuned up and checked? Or am I ok to not worry about it? Thanks.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greenini
    I can't be the only one to worry about this. I'm doing a project on my Bernina QE153 and I'm breaking a lot of needles. I'm going to switch to a machine I don't care about so much that is more heavy duty, but I cleaned the nina out, got rid of the dust balls, and changed the needle...all those things you do. But I can't find the broken tip and I've turned her upside and shook it, don't hear anything...so is the needle tip in the project? Do I need to take her in to get it tuned up and checked? Or am I ok to not worry about it? Thanks.....
    You could try a magnet - I know we are not supposed to put them near the machine, but that is meant for the 'works' at the top and in the pillar, I believe, as I have a 730 that does machine embroidery, and I use magnets in the hoops that the manufacturers assured me would do no harm.

It's quite possible that needle tip is somewhere on the floor, and nowhere near your machine at this stage.

each time I've lost a tip it has been in the fabric !!!!

Mine end up everywhere! :shock: Once, I looked and looked for a piece and it was on the floor! Now how the heck did it get there??

Blog Entries
    Know the feeling. When one breaks on my embroidery machine, I panic and look everywhere. I swear sometimes they just disappear into the abyss!!

Mine usually end up at the bottom of the sewing machine, I can hear them rattling around. I guess as long as they aren't stuck in the working parts, I don't care. I used to have them removed, but I don't anymore, they don't hurt anything.

Blog Entries
    Same here. I keep an over the counter allergy medicine bottle in my sewing room to put broken or bent needles or pins in. I call it pin and needle heaven. When it is full I put the lid on very tight and throw in trash. No more worry that someone will get hurt on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by janedee
    each time I've lost a tip it has been in the fabric !!!!

Blog Entries
    I shook the machine, even turned it on it's side so it's not down in the bottom, I almost would feel better if it were, then I'd know it's not in any gears where it can cause mischief!