Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
tips for cutting lengthwise? >

tips for cutting lengthwise?

tips for cutting lengthwise?

Old 03-02-2015, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
If you fold it in 1/2 then again to where it's 18" long you'll have your 72" long. Just make sure the fabric is true/squared before you cut.
...and that the blade in the cutter is new, good and sharp. I cannot tell how many times I've had to run the blade over multiple layers several times, because I forgot to do that.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bjchad View Post
I know there are going to be people who get the horrors when I say this but if it were me I would tear the strips. It's pretty much the only way to ensure the strip is straight and on grain.
this is my preferred method
Old 03-02-2015, 02:24 PM

I just cut a border fabric and used my rotary cutter. Didn't take long and I was able to control the cut to stay along one line.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:42 PM

I know there are going to be people who get the horrors when I say this but if it were me I would tear the strips. It's pretty much the only way to ensure the strip is straight and on grain.
This is what I would do as well. Probably about 1/2 inch wider than desired finished width. Scootch the extra threads on both sides out with a pin/seam ripper to get to desired width and then press. It can be a tedious process getting the extra threads off the sides but you know your fabric will truly be on grain that way. And you've given yourself enough of a buffer with the extra 1/2" to be able to get to your correct width and not have nasty edges.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:22 PM

I am glad someone asked this question. So much knowledge from this board
Old 03-03-2015, 06:08 AM

That was my first thought.If you tear just a smidge wider you could then cut off the offending rough edge.Just cut it as a single layer.Do not fold and cut.It will take a little longer but you will probably get better results.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:28 AM

I always rip long pieces off for borders; I rip them about 2-1/2" wider than necessary and trim back down. That might not work with a print though (I'm usually using solids for borders). If you have some spare fabric I'd do a test rip and see how on-grain the print is. If it's off, I agree with the others, lay it out and use scissors on one layer at a time so you can get the print you need, then you might want to starch it before attaching since it's off-grain.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

It is what I do too. You just have to remove all the loose threads. Add an extra 1/8" too for compensation of the unraveled side. With larger quilts in competition, I did not want to deal with pieced borders.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
Since the fabric has a distinctive pattern I think I'd do this the old fashioned way. I'd lay it on the floor, draw the cutting line with my ruler(s), then cut with scissors. I can see what I'm cutting instead of some of it hidden in folds.
I'd go with scissors!
Old 03-03-2015, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Vistacruise View Post
I need to cut four 6.5" wide rectangles 72" long for my next quilt top. The fabric is directional along the length of the fabric so I need to cut straight down the two yards. Any tips for keeping the cuts straight?
I would rrservr that fabfic + a couple of addigional length inches and cut it when I got to that stage

Then I would measure the top and cut those pieces. It is very frustrating to be hzlf an inch shodt!