Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
tips for a small cutting table >

tips for a small cutting table

tips for a small cutting table

Old 06-09-2014, 11:44 AM

Default tips for a small cutting table

I have the average Joann Fabrics cutting table. Are there any tips for cutting the batting to size when it is way bigger than the table? I seem to get one side crooked or not long enough. I was wondering if any tips or tricks for working with smaller table area than the quilt top/batting and backing?
Thanks
Old 06-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

No help here. I always cut my batting on the floor. I have a 6' ruler ($11, lowes) that I use.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

I really don't think there is anyway to cut a large size batting on a small table. Sorry
Old 06-09-2014, 01:17 PM

I get the batting folded into fourths. Then I fold the backing into fourths. Then fold the quilt top into fourths. Line up the middle marks on the top and backing first. Cut the backing about 4 or 5 inches bigger than the top, leaving it all folded into fourths. Then line up the middle of the backing with the middle of the batting. Trim the batting to about the same size as the backing. This is how I do it all the time. BUT I normally make quilts no more than twin size.

Otherwise I try to buy a batting that's around the right size. I don't have a big table where I can get it all flat and spread out. And I certainly cannot get up and down from the floor. It's been working for me.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:25 PM

I have a double bed in the spare room. I remove the decorative quilt (important LOL) and spread the batting out across the bed then put the quilt top I'm working on on top of the batting. I trim the batting about 4-6" bigger than the quilt top. If it's a larger quilt I have to slide the batting and quilt top around after cutting 2 or 3 sides. I know one of these days I'm going to cut the sheets--that's why I remove the quilt. I'm also at the point where I'm not making any more really large quilts.

Last edited by janRN; 06-09-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:22 PM

I just use my living room floor and cut the batting with scissors.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 02:25 PM

I've always had to cut mine on a small table. You need to have at least one straight side. Pick the "straightest" side and trim with scissors if you need to make is as straight as possible (however, you will cut the batting larger than needed, so it does not need to be perfect!) Using your longest ruler (mine is 24") measure to the opposite side where you want to cut and make a mark every 12 inches or less. If you have a really long ruler, you could make fewer marks. Now go to your cutting table. Be careful the batting is not being stretched. Now place your ruler so it is spanning 3-4 marks. They should be in a relatively straight line if you have not stretched the batting during your initial measurements. If way off, then re-measure and re-mark your batting. Now just connect the dots and cut.

Last edited by novicequiltergrandma; 06-09-2014 at 02:27 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-09-2014, 04:03 PM

I cut my on-the-roll batting on the floor; pull off what I need, measuring with a 48" ruler as I go; then straighten the cut line so it's on top of the rolled batting, mark a straight line, and cut with scissors. No table required: I must confess I usually sit in my chair when I do this...
Old 06-09-2014, 04:26 PM

I have the same table. Have a roll of batting. The batting is folded in half on the roll. I usually make large bed size quilts. I unroll the batting from one short side of the table to the opposite end of the table leaving the roll on the table. Fold my top in half and lay the top on top of the batting begining at the cut end of the roll. When I get to the roll of batting and still have more top left, I just either slide the cut end off the edge of the table and continue sliding/unrolling as needed. I leave about 4-5 inches excess batting on each end. When I hsve enough batting unrolled and me excess at the far end I just chop it off with scissors. I don't worry about either end being particularly straight.

After that ordeal I lay out backing, batting and top centered on the table. Use binder clips to hold in place and either pin or thread baste. Shift the sandwich around as needed to baste the whole top. It can be a tedious process but no excessive bending and no crawling around on the floor. There is nota room in my house with enough floor space to do a queen or king size quilt anyhow.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:23 PM

I measure the quilt 2 times to be sure add 6 inches. I have batting on a roll size 108" and 60". I lay the roll of batting on the bed and unroll the batting,measure using 120" tape and pin on fold and end. I then use the tape pin to pin or a 3ft carpenters ruler to guide the cut and it is pretty strait