Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tme for a new cutting mat.. Which one ??? >

Tme for a new cutting mat.. Which one ???

Tme for a new cutting mat.. Which one ???

Old 12-05-2016, 04:26 PM

I have Alvin, green one side, black one side; Grace, gray, marked on both sides, and my newest - a 36"x48"Dahle, blue with marking just on one side. I use them all and they work fine. I shop price, which is probably why I don't have an Olfa or a Martelli.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:56 PM

I have two Olfa and like them both. I first bought a white one with blue lines, don't know the brand but it didn't hold up. After cutting on same line for a while, It started chipping off. I've had my big Olfa for probably 20 years and still good.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:36 PM

Self healing mat for sure. I have a Martelli which I bought last year on sale. It is holding up well but I cannot get used to the inch lines that are two colors, just get confused. Don't like it as well as Olfa.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:13 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

I recently purchased an Alex Anderson Quilter's select mat because I needed a new one at camp and it was on sale at my LQS. it was still expensive and worth every penny.....I love it! My cuts are easier, with less skips and the mat doesn't slip. Am hoping for another sale so I can have one at home.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:33 PM

I have an Olfa 24"X36" and a Martelli 30"X60". I like both of them for different reasons. But if I could only choose one I would choose the Martelli. I like the Martelli because it is big enough to lay out a lap size quilt and square it up easily after quilting. I don't usually have to move the quilt at all because the mat is long enough. I also like that I can flip over the mat if my blocks are near the same color as the mat. For example, I have a hard time seeing white on the yellow side, so I will just turn it over to the purple side. Likewise, it is hard to square up purple blocks on the purple side. If you are interested in the Martelli wait until the redline sale when you can get it 50% off.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:50 PM

I have a pink Fiskars 24X36 Inch Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat. I purchased it from Jo-Ann's with a 60% coupon. They have other colors on Amazon. It's dual sided and more than meets my needs.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:55 AM

I have a rotating self-healing mat and really liked how my blades seemed to cut better on it so went looking for a 4' x 8' self healing for my cutting table. This one has markings on both sides, one side is green, the other side is black. I made my cutting table to fit it as I couldn't find one to fit the table I had at the time. Haven't looked back since and I think my blades last longer on it too. Bought it online but can't remember where as it was a couple years ago.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:03 AM

I use the Alto Quick Cut system, so for me it's important how the measurements are printed. I like the numbers to include quarter inch and eighth inch measurements, if possible, and for the numbers to printed at the outer edge of the lines so I can set my ruler against the lines but still see the numbers to measure, if that makes sense. Not all mats are laid out the same.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:35 AM

Olfa is my vote as well. I purchased a Fiskars mat once, and the off-gas smell was horrible! It never went away and ended up in the trash. My Olfa mat is 24 years old and still looks new.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:08 AM

I like Olfa mats. I have the 24 X 36 on my work station. I have a rotating one and a smaller one that I take when I go somewhere else to quilt. I do have one that is hard surface but I really do not like it because blades wear out sooner and the mat scars from the cutting and is rough to the touch. I have it in the camper to use when we travel by camper. I am replacing it with on Olfa folding mat that I ordered from MSQC a couple of days ago.