Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Cutting Mat: Which one?

Rotary Cutting Mat: Which one?

I can't decide between the 18 x 24 Fiskars and Olfa rotary cutting mat. Which do any of you prefer? Thanks for the advice.

Olfa for me!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Quilters Select mats are my favorite . It is the only brand I buy and I have used every brand and type of mat available over the decades. If I had to choose between Olfa or Fiskars it would be Olfa.

Olfa would be my choice

If haven't tried the Olfa mat, but if it is the dark green one, I am not fond of the color. I have a Fiskars mat that is dark grey on one side, and lighter grey on the other. I have had it for several years, and used it A LOT. It is still in great shape, and works great for me.

It depends quite a bit on the color of the mat and the lines on it. My first mat was a Fiskar's, grey with orange markings. I find it very difficult to see the markings on that mat, so I seldom used it. I like the Olfa green mats, but I bought a couple of the US Art Supply mats (pink on one side, blue on the other) and I really like them better.

https://www.amazon.com/US-Art-Supply...9303&s=gateway

Olfa. Mine is 16 years old and in great shape.

I have the Olfa and am perfectly happy with it however I never use the lines on it. I only go by the ruler markings

I have used both ....

However, I do not like the newer mats that seemingly are not the "self-healing" that was the big sale feature of Olfa, way back. Instead, I find that with the newer ones, I feel as though my rotary cutter, slides around more and does not cut as accurately/evenly as on the self-healing.

So the question that I have .......... are self-healing mats available any longer?

Thanks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I have had both brands & like Olfa much better. I have the Fiskars right now & it has started chipping on both sides. My Olfa never did that. Next time I'll go back to Olfa.

I have a green Olfa mat to cut large pieces and I have a Fiskars rotating mat for smaller cutting jobs. They both work great.
    Everyone can't be Irish, somebody has to drive.

I have now tried the Olfa, the Quilters' Select and the Martelli. The Martelli did not heal for me and had deep grooves, and I had to sand it down to prevent cutting my fingers. It was also very heavy and cumbersome.

The Quilters' Select I don't love because my fabric slides around on it. The Olfa and Martelli have a better surface texture, imo -- no fabric slippage, so an excellent surface for both folding and cutting.

My only gripe about the Olfa, and the only reason I sought out other mats, is because it is so difficult to see to cut dark fabric on the dark Olfa surface. My solution is to keep my Quilters' Select under my Olfa, and if I'm having trouble seeing to cut, I will slide the Olfa back and cut on the light side of the QS.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    thanks Dunster. i may get one. i am about done with Olfa. in 1991 I got Olfa and still have it. it is a bit worn in the center. don't know when but years ago i got another Olfa and it's as worn as the older one is now. So i may like PINK!

Blog Entries
    Fiskars for me. ​I cannot stand the odor of a Olfa mat.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I have my first green mat from the early eightys. No lines. I had it cut in half so my daughter could have a part of it.
    I have found that when I cut batts, they really stick to my new mats but not as much to this old mat.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by obrienwv View Post
    I can't decide between the 18 x 24 Fiskars and Olfa rotary cutting mat. Which do any of you prefer? Thanks for the advice.
    Neither!

After using about every mat out there, I have found that the Martelli mats and Quilters Select mats outlast and out perform any other on the market. So - I watch for sales and get mine then.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-16-2019 at 10:34 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I have had both, but someone here recommended a Marteli and even though it was more expensive I got one and it is the smoothest mat I have used, like cutting through soft butter.

I like the Olfa green for cutting. I've used Friskars and Martelli too. Check the final width and length sizes on the mat. Some are shorter by an inch. That might not matter depending on your projects.

Blog Entries
    Me, too. Then you can put the fabric at an angle and avoid getting "ruts" from cutting straight vertical or horizontal all the time.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    has anyone used Uline mats? or Calibre Arts mats? Martelli may be out of my reach. I have so many blades by Olfa i want to continue to be able to use those. both my olfa mats are old but do not smell. i surely do not want one that does. or have a warning from California about it containing cancer causing chemicals.
    Last edited by nativetexan; 03-16-2019 at 03:35 PM.

All I have had were Olfa double sided. Color doesn't matter to me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    has anyone used Uline mats? or Calibre Arts mats? Martelli may be out of my reach. I have so many blades by Olfa i want to continue to be able to use those. both my olfa mats are old but do not smell. i surely do not want one that does. or have a warning from California about it containing cancer causing chemicals.
    Thanks ... you got my attention about ULine.
    Link here is to their Canadian site ....
    https://www.uline.ca/BL_1174/Self-He...f+Healing+Mats
    Wow, what a difference in price to all the other brands!

I'll echo NativeTexan's query .... has anyone used ULine Mats? and your thoughts/comments?

Thanks!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-16-2019 at 05:57 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    I have my first green mat from the early eightys. No lines. I had it cut in half so my daughter could have a part of it.
    I have found that when I cut batts, they really stick to my new mats but not as much to this old mat.
    I have cut batting with a layer of newspaper over the mat, under the batting. It prevents the batting from embedding itself into your cutting mat.
    Life is a remarkable journey~~make yours memorable...

Blog Entries
    I have Olfa mats, including both sizes of the rotating mats, which I like. But today I bought a Fiskars rotating mat at JoAnn's with a 60% off coupon. I'm thinking I would like one that isn't so dark, and the Fiskars one is a light grey. The size is between the 2 Olfa rotating mats. I haven't tried it yet, but it says it's self-healing, so I have high hopes for it.

Leslie

Quote Originally Posted by Shorebird View Post
    Neither!

After using about every mat out there, I have found that the Martelli mats and Quilters Select mats outlast and out perform any other on the market. So - I watch for sales and get mine then.
    I also have both of these mats & really like them both. The Quilters Select also has the measurements going both ways. 1,2,3...& then next to that is 17,16,15. I know, don't use the mat lines for cutting but I do to straighten the edges of my fabric. Highly recommend the Quilter's Select products. Sign up for emails from Martelli to get advance notice of sales.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast