Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutting Mat: Which one? >

Rotary Cutting Mat: Which one?

Rotary Cutting Mat: Which one?

Old 03-25-2019, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

I got brave and ordered a Martelli cutting mat from All Brands. they gave me the lowest price I could fine elsewhere. and they were nice a year or two ago when i bought my sewing chair from them. same thing, i asked about sale price, they checked with makers of the chair and agreed to give me that sale price. I've not gotten the mat yet but do hope i will love it. my olfa ones are bad now.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

update. I've hardly used my new mat but will. only thing i hate is the inch markings of the numbers. they fall over the 3/4 marks instead. the only line which has the measurements for every inch on the inch lines is the vertical one in the center of the mat. Today i took my permanent black marker and put a dot below every inch line, top, bottom and left side. Now i don't think I will mess up cutting. that would have been most frustrating. I think I heard Martelli is to correct this in future.
p.s. Barb you didn't iron on your cutting mat did you? yikes!

Last edited by nativetexan; 08-17-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:50 PM

I have olfa, fiskers, and martelli I like the martelli best,
Old 08-17-2019, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

good. I like to hear that. my old mats were from 1991!!!
Old 08-18-2019, 05:03 AM

I find my rotary blades last longer on a self-healing mat more so than a regular mat. I changed over to a 4x8 self-healing mat a couple years ago and have been very pleased with it. Got it online somewhere. Its green on one side and black on the other side.....both have the markings on them too.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:56 AM

I have used both over the 30+ years I have been quilting. They both wear about the same. By the time I am done with one it is unusable. Both of the are equal in their self healing abilities. Fiskar is a bit heavier than Olfa. Pricewise the better deal IMHO is Olfa. Olaf's has a better guarantee if you ever need to return a defective product. That applies to their rulers too. Fiskar's lines on the mat will wear quicker that the Olfa. Both of them are good for use on the opposite sides too.

I also have the 54" Olfa and love it! When it comes to replacing my boards it is always price dependent anymore . I also have a small Ofla that I use when going out with my machine. Easy to carry. The smaller Fiskar is not as strong,.