Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Totally bummed out >

Totally bummed out

Totally bummed out

Old 12-14-2011, 03:11 PM

Default Totally bummed out

I've been scarce around here because I've been working on mug rugs. Well, yesterday my sewing machine decided it was going to die on me. Something in the bobbin is hitting the needle and hanging is up. I took it to the shop this morning, and they are going to fix it under warranty, because I just had it serviced a few months ago. Unfortunately, they also told me that parts are becoming very scarce for my machine (1976 Singer Futura II 920). It's been a reliable workhorse, and I'm sad to see this happen. She did recommend that I start looking for a new machine and keep this one on hand as a backup, since she doesn't know how much longer any parts will be available.

So, while I'm out of commission until the 20th - with a stack of 18 mug rugs and 10 stockings that I wanted to get done by Christmas - I have been given permission to research a new machine! I'm going to go to a Quilt festival in Phoenix in January where I hope to test drive several different machines to figure out which one I would like to look for, but tell me - what is your preferred machine, and why? I'm not looking for heavy embroidery work, but I do want a big enough throat to handle at the least queen sized quilts, a variety of quilting stitches, fmq abilities (probably all of them?) and low maintenance. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2011, 03:16 PM

I like my janome 6600.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
I like my janome 6600.
Me, too. I use it for everything you listed.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by AZTeri View Post
I've been scarce around here because I've been working on mug rugs. Well, yesterday my sewing machine decided it was going to die on me. Something in the bobbin is hitting the needle and hanging is up. I took it to the shop this morning, and they are going to fix it under warranty, because I just had it serviced a few months ago. Unfortunately, they also told me that parts are becoming very scarce for my machine (1976 Singer Futura II 920). It's been a reliable workhorse, and I'm sad to see this happen. She did recommend that I start looking for a new machine and keep this one on hand as a backup, since she doesn't know how much longer any parts will be available.

So, while I'm out of commission until the 20th - with a stack of 18 mug rugs and 10 stockings that I wanted to get done by Christmas - I have been given permission to research a new machine! I'm going to go to a Quilt festival in Phoenix in January where I hope to test drive several different machines to figure out which one I would like to look for, but tell me - what is your preferred machine, and why? I'm not looking for heavy embroidery work, but I do want a big enough throat to handle at the least queen sized quilts, a variety of quilting stitches, fmq abilities (probably all of them?) and low maintenance. Thanks!
I use Bernina, and I've had her for 4 years, and she is a work horse. She never gives up, and just keeps going and going. I haven't had the machine serviced for over a year, which reminds me, and I haven't had any problems. I oil it every day, and clean out the lint too. It's a Bernina Aurora 430. I don't have the embroidry unit for it, and I wish I did. I would use it all the time. I sew everyday. If I don't sew, I crochet, or work Soduko. lol Good luck finding a machine. Look at all of them. If you go on Ebay, you won't find any Bernina's for sale. You may find the little berninette or what ever it is.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:54 PM

I have a Viking 875 quilt sapphire. I bought it especially for the big throat, but now I am in love with the auto thread cut and knot feature when you begin and end a line of quilting. Stitches are straight, my only complaint is I think it is noisy and has more vibration than my Janome 10000, but it cost a lot more than the Viking. I haven't done any fmq yet. Search online to find Viking875 sapphire groups, it will give you a good idea on what to "drive" when you are doing a test drive. Good luck with your machine search, so sorry about the Futura, I loved my old Singer but a lightning storm took out it out of commission in 2001, I got it in 1980 and it performed perfectly for 21 years.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:57 PM

I have one of the big Vikings, a Bernina and a Janome 6600...and I love them all! You just about can't go wrong with any of those brands, but do try them so you'll be happy with whatever you select.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:02 PM

Definitely a Viking Sapphire!!!!! love Vikings and the they never let you down
Old 12-14-2011, 04:05 PM

I have a Viking Sapphire and a Janone 6600, both are wonderful machines and do all the things you listed. I would have a hard time choosing between them.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:08 PM

Janome 6600, because it does everything you just asked for.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:14 PM

I have a Viking , love it ! I would advise you to narrow the search to a few brands and models, then closely compare warrenty. Sometimes we get so caught up in a particular machine and don't do a diligent comparison on the warrenty .