Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Totally bummed out >

Totally bummed out

Totally bummed out

Old 12-05-2013, 08:36 PM

I have a Viking 875 Quilt and I love it. It has a fairly large throat for fmq. I love how the pressure foot goes down when I touch the foot pedal. I'm not sure if many other machines do that. Then when you stop sewing it raises up a little so you can pivot. The thread cutter I use all the time. Needle down, lots of stitches, buttonholes, several alphabets, etc. I'd say make a list of the features you must have, want to have or would be nice to have. Bring some test fabric with you to sew on, including a quilt sandwich. Use the type of fabric you usually sew on. I find that many of the shops do their test sewing on fabric that's been starched heavily, and it behaves differently than just fabric. If you check out the features online before you go to test drive some machines, you might be able to narrow down your choices, that you do test. Have fun testing.

Last edited by fireworkslover; 12-05-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:26 PM

I live in tucson and noticed this on craigslist. I have bernina machines and find they are well made and last for years. Since they were recommended in this thread I did CL search.....

http://tucson.craigslist.org/ele/4165791560.html

Here is another one......

http://tucson.craigslist.org/art/4211745944.html

Good luck in your search.

Last edited by dianna1234; 12-05-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:49 PM

Pfaff machines have a larger throat than most but on measuring the new jukes are about 10 inches. I think.
I have a juki but it it forwards or backwards only and I free motion on a frame with it. Love it. Piecing I do on a bernina janome or brother and takea light weight viking to classes.

I love each one for a different reason . You must test drive before buying.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

That is a great plan to really see what works for you. That is how I came to own my Bernina. Be sure to have a list of questions to ask each dealership. Also be sure that their is a dealership near you to have the machine serviced. Keep in mind that dealers open the boxes of the models and those machine you can wheel and deal a better price than the sticker price since the box was opened. Both of my Bernina were bought that way. Good luck and have fun !!