Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Totally bummed out >

Totally bummed out

Totally bummed out

Old 12-16-2011, 10:39 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. I too am looking for a newer machine, just needed to know how to begin the search. Thank you for asking the questions and thanks for the feed back.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:42 AM

I'm a Bernina girl. I have some old (antique?...probably not really)730's and 830's that are absolutely fantastic. They are really heavy duty and hardworking. I also have a 440 QE which is like putting on your fancy shoes - the ones that make you feel pretty. It works very smoothly, has plenty of room under the throat (I regularly quilt up to king size on it), and can hook up to you computer for embroidery if you want (I've never done it, but have the place to hook up...) You should give this one a try!
Old 12-16-2011, 10:55 AM

I love my Janome Memory Craft 6600. It is totally awesome and does way more than I need it to for my purposes. Heavy duty and is a work horse for me.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:09 AM

Best Advice I can give you is.....Decide how much $$ you want to spend, and then write down all the "must haves" that you really want on a new machine. Such as Thread cutter, larger throat area, knee lift, etc. Then Go and actually try out the machines. I have a Janome 6500 and love it! Price was right, had the extras I wanted without extra bells and whistles I really wouldn't us to often. Good Luck! I am sure you will find the right one for you!
Old 12-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

I am super-happy with the Baby Lock Espire (now being marketed as the Symphonie). The only thing I wish she had was a built-in walking foot, but I have an add-on foot and it works well too.

I love the large throat, good light, one-push threader, built-in scissors, needle position, separate bobbin winder, speed control, drop-in bobbin, great stitch quality, not fussy with threads, doesn't pull fabric down the feed dogs and and and - I'm sure I haven't used half of what she has to offer.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:32 PM

I have a Babylock Quest+ and have loved it for the past 5 years! Only had to have it serviced once, and I use it EVERY day. It does great FM, and I love the needle-up/needle down, knee lift, and free-arm.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:33 PM

I'm so sorry to hear what happened to your sewing machine, right before Christmas. It made my heart skip a beat, and I went running to my sewing room...only to discover that I have a Future II 920. I hope you can have yours repaired. My repair man told me that it is the best sewing machine Singer ever made. It has served me well over these many years and I still use it! However I also have a Bernina 830 and I really like it.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:28 PM

Hi Teri,
I bought a new Bernina 2 years ago, the 730, and I also have a Pfaff 7510, which is 16 years old. (I don't know why I thought I needed a new machine.) At any rate, I keep going back to my old Pfaff. It has an automatic walking foot that I honestly cannot live without. I love the Bernina, don't get me wrong. The stitches are beautiful. I love the automatic thread cutter and auto start, etc. etc. However, that walking foot just can't be beat.

I am sure there are wonderful features about every machine out there. Do your homework and good luck on your decision!
Old 12-16-2011, 07:34 PM

Bernina 730 does it all. Embroidery, sewing beautifully and fmq. Had mine for 5 years and works beautifully. The 830 has a much bigger opening and is faster but pricier too. Enjoy.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:40 PM

I love my Bernina 830. I know it is expensive, but the value is in its performance and like all Bernina machines, an annual cleaning and checkup is about all they need. I also own the Bernina Artista 130 E, Auroro 440E, and Artista 640.