Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tote Bags for Foster Care Children >

Tote Bags for Foster Care Children

Tote Bags for Foster Care Children

Old 02-14-2017, 06:13 AM

For strength, I would consider upholstery fabric vs quilting cotton.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:12 AM

My guess is that most fostered children are taken away from parents. So many drugs, incarceration, mental problems in the world that the children need a safe place. You are correct that a trash bag is not proper.
Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
This is a very sore spot for me. Who sends a child, that's been a part of your family, away with belongings in a trash bag? A duffel bag at Goodwill cost a few dollars.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
My guess is that most fostered children are taken away from parents. So many drugs, incarceration, mental problems in the world that the children need a safe place. You are correct that a trash bag is not proper.
institches33 -- You are correct. Sometimes the parents are already in the police car. The police, sheriff, or a social worker are the ones left to gather up the children and their things and take them to safety.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:49 AM

Go to your cabinet and get out a box (cereal?). Use it to measure out dimensions. Measure from middle of side to middle of other side and add seam allowance. Measure from top all the way around to other side top. (You can make it 2 pieces, but I prefer one solid piece.) And you can make it as tall or short as you want. Make strap(s) as long as you want, attach to outside piece, sew outside piece sides together. Sew lining sides together leaving a 3 inch hole one one side. Box bottom corners if desired. With right sides together (and straps tucked in) sew outer and lining together at top, turn rightside out thru the hole, sew hole shut. Iron and then topstitch around top - done! That is an absolute basic tote. You can add pockets to outside or to lining before sewing. You can add a band around top or make a continuous strap that goes around bottom for super support. You can make a fabric covered hard piece to sit in the bottom of the bag for support but can be removed for washing. You can decorate and embellish to your heart's content. I make many plain totes but attach orphan quilt blocks to the front. I keep a pizza box (cardboard is breathable and box is stackable!) on the shelf full of orphan blocks that I have tried out patterns or color combos that I ended up not liking. They are great for the front of totes (or wine bags) and folks love getting them as gifts - my trash is their treasure!
Old 02-14-2017, 10:19 AM

I can understand the dismay of using a large, plastic trash bag to literally stuff as much of the child's belongings into something when time and safety are at the forefront.

One of the guilds I belong to accepts commercially made backpacks and duffle bags throughout the year. However, this equipment is often for school books! We make large stuff bags pillow size or even larger out of durable fabrics. Home dec fabrics are an excellent choice. The pull tie closure has two sets of cords threaded from opposite ends. That way each separate cord is tied together at the ends and doesn't come out of the channel.

We also collect new socks and underwear to be placed in the donated stock of critically needed items the local Child Protective Services department maintains at their office. This is a rural area so we know the social workers and have built up a trust with them. Sometimes a $20-25. gift card is offered to fill in items necessary for the child. We use the lower denomination to spread the Walmart cards over more children, even when donating more than $100.

On a child's personal level, quilted journals are offered. These covers are made to fit over a bound composition book. Pillowcases are also donated. Thanks for caring about these children!

Last edited by kay carlson; 02-14-2017 at 10:22 AM. Reason: grammar :)
Old 02-14-2017, 02:46 PM

The state guild in Missouri several years ago made pillow case totes and put a string in the hem of the tote. They were big enough to hold any personnel items.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:11 PM

Pillow cases with a cinch casing for a string to cinch the pillow case closed also works and the pillow cases are fairly spacious.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:25 PM

You assume that the kids are always moving from foster home to foster home. Often when they leave their parents home, they leave with NOTHING because it is dangerous for the social worker and the children. Some are picked from school, so have only what they have on/with them. I know of one short term (also known as emergency placement) foster parent who had 50 kids for a week or so each - in one year. She and her husband often had to shop for several changes of clothes, shoes, underwear for the kids. The state does not give a very large allowance for clothing to start with, so a lot of that came out of their own pockets. Sometimes there just isn't enough time or money to buy duffle bags. They resorted to giving the kids pillow cases when they were moved to more 'permanent' placements. Why? Because they felt the same way as you do about sending the kids out of their home with their few possessions in a plastic garbage bag.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:41 AM

The guild I belong to is planning to make some totes to donate. It was suggested to use the Mondo Bag pattern - but without cutting and fusing all the 2 1/2" squares. We will just cut the fabric the size of the finished pieces. I takes about 3/4 yard of two fabrics, and it has a nice square bottom. Here's a picture of the pattern, as well as one that I have made. I used real crazy fabric!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]568346[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]568345[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mondo-bag.jpg   mondo.jpg  

Last edited by raspberryparade09; 02-15-2017 at 04:42 AM. Reason: turn the picture - but couldn't!!
Old 02-15-2017, 06:10 AM

That Mondo bag is very nice! I occasionally turn in a large tote to Project Linus. Mine are like a pillowcase with draw strings and a design on the front side. PL serves kids in all kinds of situations and I trust that someone gets the bags where they are needed the most. Breaks my heart to think of kids toting all they have in garbage bags.